It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:34 am

Tablet or Laptop

Seek help with anything, drop us some feedback or tell us what you'd like to see
  • Author

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

Tablet or Laptop

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 9:29 pm

I may be looking to upgrade my laptop. Main uses are Twitter / Facebook / Internet Browsing and also some gaming - mainly Minecraft, Football Manager, and simuation games like train or underground simulators (yes, I know I'm sad).

My choices as I see them are either a Windows Tablet of some kind or a laptop. Which would people go for ? And what's the minimum I could get away with spending to do what I want ?

ooooomikeooooo

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: ooooomikeooooo

Re: Tablet or Laptop

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 9:41 pm

If you want to play any sort of proper game then a tablet is no good. I'm not sure what the new hybrids are like, I've never seen one in use so I don't know if they can play games.

I have a tablet, Asus Transformer Infinity, cost £600 so the same price as a pretty good laptop. It has a keyboard but it runs a standard android operating system so you can only install apps.

There is a football manager tablet version, much simpler and stripped back than the full PC version but still good fun. Twitter, facebook and the internet is just as easy on a tablet as it is on a PC or phone. If you are ever going to do any typing or spreadsheets though then it is much better on a PC. Downloading of films and tv (illegally) is much easier on a PC. Playing them on a tablet is great though, don't know how easy it is on an iPad but android is great.

The portability, ease and speed of use and the quality of the screens are excellent on a tablet but you do lose some functionality. I suppose it just depends on whether you can sacrifice those functions.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 9:56 pm

To be honest that's why I was looking at a Windows tablet over an Android one. I guess it depends how much a laptop would be compared to a tablet for what I want.

Stepper_T

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: Stepper_T

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Any gaming at all and you need a laptop.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Even Minecraft ?

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 pm

How about a fairly cheap PC rig for gaming, and a cheap Android tablet for browsing the web? Thats my intention, my Mac Mini for coding/gaming (though its not great for gaming) and a tablet (probably an iPad) for browsing the web and apps.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 pm

The more I look into it the more I'm tempted to stick with my laptop and if it doesn't run the game then so be it.

Maybe get a cheap and cheerful tablet for web browsing. Any recommendations there ? iPad mini at £270, anything round that price to rival / better it ?

ooooomikeooooo

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: ooooomikeooooo

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 12:28 am

I think the new version of the Nexus 7 is out at the end of this month. That is usually considered the best of the android 7 inch tablets so I'd presume the new one will be an improvement. Starting at £200 for £16GB. THe new nexus has a 1920x1200 screen which is way better than the iPad mini. I think there's due to be a new mini due out before xmas though and I'd expect that to have an improved screen.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 am

Nexus 7 - £200 ? Idea :bulb:

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Hmm, you're already in the iOS ecosystem though, so if you got an iPad Mini you've already got apps that would run on it from your iPhone.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Who says I'm keeping the iPhone ?? :eek:

Options open and cost will rule. Just had a look and Tesco doing the new Nexus 7 32GB for £219 ....

I've been told the Acer Windows one is excellent for example - not sure on the price though.

akalongster

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: @akeithsaunders

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 12:07 pm

iPad mini is a seriously great piece if kit in its current form. Just ask the better half. It's great for running candy crush on :dolf:

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Candy Crush ... }:( }:( }:( }:( }:( }:( }:( }:(

akalongster

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: @akeithsaunders

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 12:18 pm

I have an IBM Twistpad at home which is very good and may meet all your requirements, tablet and laptop in one.

Also has some music on that I need to sort (sorry)

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 3:16 pm

No problem I think I've managed to snaffle some stuff which is pretty similar to what you would be sending anyway !

Looked at the Twist and its alongside the other Windows Tablets where you have to pay for a decent one (there was an Acer 8" at about £250 that got panned). So I think I have ruled out a Windows tablet which is a shame as it's a nice bit of kit just costly.

So, I'm down to a choice between the new Nexus 7 (£220 for 32GB) and the iPad Mini (£270 for 16GB). I am aware there may be a new mini out soon bit I would expect the price to be £300+

In saying all that I have plenty of time to change my mind !!!

Return to Help, Support & Feedback