It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Laptop help

Seek help with anything, drop us some feedback or tell us what you'd like to see
  • Author

Nath

Mark Viduka

Laptop help

PostFri Feb 20, 2015 4:05 am

My laptop has had a problem with the fan for a while, sounded like a jet taking off and then the laptop started to overheat last week.

I knew that it likely just needed the fan cleaning out so I took it apart, cleaned out the build up of dust from the fan and put it back together again but it won't power on. It's getting power from the mains and its indicated that it has power but the power button won't turn it on. Took it all apart again in case I'd forgotten to put a wire back in as it's easily missed but I hadnt, everything connected from what I could make out.

Still won't power on, any suggestions? It's about 3yrs old, HP Pavilion G6 - just a daft thing, nothing important on it I just can't be arsed to buy a new one and don't want to pay a bloke if it's something really stupid

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

Re: Laptop help

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 9:14 pm

I know you said you had but nearly every time I have dismantled a Laptop, there is always something comes loose without appearing to be...for me it is those little ribbon things that go into latched connectors. I'd try re-seating them all.

Other than that it is a bit of a God only knows affair - just check that nothing is shorting out if have you overtightened something?

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSat Feb 21, 2015 9:53 pm

Christ yeah them things...had a feeling those bastards might be a problem

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSun Feb 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Right, I now (finally) have it 90% sorted, only issue now is the mouse trackpad isn't working - any ideas?

ooooomikeooooo

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: ooooomikeooooo

PostSun Feb 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Use a mouse

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSun Feb 22, 2015 10:20 pm

I would say there's always one cunt but seeing as you're all cunts it isn't accurate.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

PostSun Feb 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Trackpad is a ribbon connector (on my Laptop) but it also has a small lead running to something else - I think it was to a port of some type - or maybe power. Have a look there

ooooomikeooooo

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: ooooomikeooooo

PostSun Feb 22, 2015 11:06 pm

Sorry, couldn't resist. I hate trackpads though so it'd be my recommendation whether it was working or not.

Return to Help, Support & Feedback