It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Getting a Mac, then slapping Windows on it...

Seek help with anything, drop us some feedback or tell us what you'd like to see
  • Author

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

Getting a Mac, then slapping Windows on it...

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 1:02 pm

...thinking of doing this, with the intention that OSX will be my main operating system but I've got Windows there as/when I need it. Anyone done Bootcamp or run one of the virtualisation tools to do this? Any experiences/advice?

Paul1986

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: thepaulsinclair

Re: Getting a Mac, then slapping Windows on it...

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 2:36 pm

I've heard that dome of the virtualisation stuff is good. However in 6 months I've found no reason to want to use windows

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

• Twitter: yodathecoder

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Did bootcamp for a while, but I gave it too much of the disk whenI set it up so in the end I went back to just OS X and VMs when I need them. Oracle VirtualBox is free and pretty good, but I've had problems accessing guest OS services from the host and I can't figure out why. VMWare Fusion works perfectly but it's "free" not free ;)

So if you're going MacBook Air with a small-ish disk use VMs that you can store on a secondary disk, if you've got disk space to spare do Bootcamp.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Eyeing up a MacMini with 500GB HD. Probably won't get loads of use, but want it for the odd application thats windows only, maybe the odd game. Presume with the virtualisation route that gaming is off the table? (e.g SimCity for example, nothing thats particularly intensive and hardcore)

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Gaming might be off the table anyway depending on what gfx card is in the Mini. I had a low-end Mac Mini at work to do iPhone app development and it huffed and puffed just doing day-to-day Windows tasks (a few MS Office apps, Visual Studio). Even my Macbook Air will try and set fire to my legs if I play Minecraft. If you're after gaming with your dual-boot I'd look at what kind of Hackintosh you could put together

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Hmm, We'll see then!

I'm after a setup that will replace my windows laptop for starters, as its old and dying. I want something I can do iPhone dev on, and I'm not really a PC Gamer, its only really Minecraft and possibly Footy Manager and SimCity I'd be interested in. Its the 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini with a RAM boost to 8Gb I'm thinking of. Using a MacPro at work thats a 2.3 i5 with 8Gb RAM and seems ok to be honest, so hoping that Mini will be ok, really because I can't afford the next model up! :)

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Intel HD 4000 GFX in the mac mini, here's a benchmark of that card in a number of laptops, make of it what you will. I don't game other than on consoles so I don't have a handle on what's needed to play the latest and greatest.

I don't do any iDevice dev these days either so as long as it runs Eclipse I'm OS neutral (with Linux leanings).

Return to Help, Support & Feedback