• Author

Capybara

Scott McDonald

So, the Euros then

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 11:23 am

Anyone there?
Who are we supporting?
How do we feel about the start?
When was the last time there was a Euro/World Cup with no Boro representation*?

* it was probably 2012, actually

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

Re: So, the Euros then

PostSun Jun 12, 2016 7:22 pm

Well it has kicked off in grand style...on and off the field.
Absolute mayhem, and the French don't seem to have a handle on it at all.

As for England - should have had Vardy on in 2nd half straight after the goal, as it was we got caught trying to defend a single goal lead. Some decent play though and promise if there.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 10:05 am

i'll be supporting England until we inevitably get sent packing with a spineless performance against a team we should be beating (probably Wales)

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 10:15 am

Thought we did well the other night, shame we couldn't hold on for another minute - but if we had won having played well, the press would have had us as winners of the tournament.

Got a chance to go through by beating Wales, expect it to be a tough game but if we turn up we should beat them. Somebody needs to smack Bale early on

Seen most of the football so far, all been reasonable matches with N.Ireland game being the worst - would imagine they are comfortably in the worst 3 teams at the tournament

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 8:28 am

I can actually see England going out. Wales will be up for it on Thursday and if England lose then they will really be up against it. I can't quite get my head around the sums and possibilities for third place finishes but I could see England being one of the two to miss out. And on last night's showing, Belgium could be the other if they don't actually finish last.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

PostTue Jun 14, 2016 11:17 am

Russia given a suspended disqualification and will be kicked out if there is any more trouble INSIDE the ground.

Great - gives them free reign to turn the streets of Lille and Lens into another battleground. I suspect England will be kicked out before them for the out of the ground stuff.

Didn't they have a 6 point deduction suspended ? Why didnt UEFA enforce that ? Edit - just seem that ran out at the end of the qualification campaign. :?

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Iceland then :eek:

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 8:09 am

If we can't beat Iceland in a knockout phase, the players should all retire from international duty.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 8:18 am

true

but we NEVER do well against Scandinavian countries do we??

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Iceland
France / Ireland
Germany / Spain / Italy

Yep, resting 6 players looks a sensible option now ....

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Iceland...fucking ICELAND

What a steaming pile of turd England were...well done Iceland, you deserved that win

Bye Hodgson, thanks for the pick me up tonight

chewee22

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 6:54 am

Shearer for England!

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 8:25 am

That was just abysmal, the whole tournament was - after the World Cup I thought we would never see anything like that again, this was arguably worse. At least in Brazil we went out to Italy and Uruguay/Suarez, not f.cking Russia, Slovakia and Iceland!

I honestly don't think we would have scored if we were still playing now (and that statement stands no matter when you are reading this!)

There is a massive lack of available bosses, Mourinho and Rodgers probably would have both been close to the top of the list a few months ago, they're both in new jobs. Saw Shearer fuming on motd saying he would have it or help Southgate. Personally hope we stay with an English one but the list I saw last night is less than inspiring!

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Geysers 2 Geezers 1.

Other than pointing out that Iceland are actually quite good (two wins over the Netherlands in qualifying) and are actually investing in terms of coaching (and putting us to shame) and were never the walkover the pundits would have had you believe, yeah England were carp. I actually still have a lot of time for Roy, but he did have a blind spot with a couple of players, notably Wilshere. I don't really know where we go from here.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Backwards. Unless we start at the bottom and work our way up this cycle will never be broken.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 7:54 pm

that was one of the worst displays by an England "team" i can remember

that should be the end of Rooneys' career with England and not one member of that team came out of the tournament with any respect whatsoever

Jo Hart was a shambles, the 4 in front of him - not one of them can defend

the midfield is one-dimensional, if the opposition put bodies behind the ball (which always happens in international football) then they didn't have a clue how to penetrate the back line

and what can be said about our mis-firing, stale attack? Sterling.....touch of a midwife, would occasionally beat his man and then kick the ball into the crowd, Sturridge - out of position, and his insistence of slowing down attacks killed what little momentum we could muster (which wasn't much), Harry Kane played like he had rigger boots on his feet and the way England play doesn't suit Jamie Vardy either

where do we go from here? we need to pick a manager who isn't a yes man, who picks players on form and not reputation and someone who can try to restore pride in the England shirt again

start from the back and work away forward....fucking shambles

wilson

David Mills

PostTue Jun 28, 2016 11:55 pm

Before the tournament started we questioned his team selection! Wiltshire? Sturridge? And not taking defoe, Carroll, Nobel or drinkwater.. During the tournament why put kane on set pieces and corners! Why play Wiltshire again after his shit performance previous to the Iceland match. Why wait till 85 mins to put on rashford on. Sterling I won't even bother! The country could see it but this buffoon couldn't! And he gets paid 3.4million for doing shit!

Return to Boro & Football Chat