It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:37 pm

F1 2014

The place to talk about Cricket, F1, NFL, NBA and any other sport you might have a thing for
  • Author

Nath

Mark Viduka

F1 2014

PostMon Nov 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Thought i'd start a new topic for next seasons F1 Championship

So far the driver lineups are changing quite a bit

Ferrari have brought in Kimi Raikkonen
Williams have brought in Felipe Massa
Lotus are likely to bring in Pastor Maldonado
McLaren have brought in Kevin Magnusson
Force India are looking to bring in either Pastor Maldonado, Sergio Perez, Nico Hulkenberg or possibly two of those three depending on what personal sponsorship they can bring in
Red Bull have brought in Daniel Ricciardo
Williams are trying to get Ross Brawn to join them

Add the rule changes with the cars - the V6 2.0 litre engines and so on and next season is gonna be a strange one I reckon

tunstall

Alan Peacock

Re: F1 2014

PostSun Nov 17, 2013 7:39 am

i hope it is strange....and entertaining

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSun Nov 17, 2013 4:54 pm

The strangeness and all the changes of drivers and specifications should make it entertaining. Even though Red Bull are most likely to end up with the best car and dominating things - just a guess given Adrian Newey - the addition of Kimi Raikkonen alongside Vettel should mean a battle within the team too. Kimi is a far better driver than Webber so should provide much greater competition

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

PostSun Nov 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Nath wrote:The strangeness and all the changes of drivers and specifications should make it entertaining. Even though Red Bull are most likely to end up with the best car and dominating things - just a guess given Adrian Newey - the addition of Kimi Raikkonen alongside Vettel should mean a battle within the team too. Kimi is a far better driver than Webber so should provide much greater competition

Wrong way round there mate, Kimi is joining Alonso at Ferrari and Ricciardo is Vettel's push-over.

However, I'm really, really hoping the grid is shaken up. I've hated this season because it's just been soooooo drab and predictable. Domination is bad for any sport but especially F1. For the good of the sport Red Bull need to have a stinker next year, else I'll be turning off anyway!

akalongster

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: @akeithsaunders

PostSun Nov 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Boro85 wrote:
Nath wrote:The strangeness and all the changes of drivers and specifications should make it entertaining. Even though Red Bull are most likely to end up with the best car and dominating things - just a guess given Adrian Newey - the addition of Kimi Raikkonen alongside Vettel should mean a battle within the team too. Kimi is a far better driver than Webber so should provide much greater competition

Wrong way round there mate, Kimi is joining Alonso at Ferrari and Ricciardo is Vettel's push-over.

However, I'm really, really hoping the grid is shaken up. I've hated this season because it's just been soooooo drab and predictable. Domination is bad for any sport but especially F1. For the good of the sport Red Bull need to have a stinker next year, else I'll be turning off anyway!

I've already decided to turn off next year and will be switching off skysportsf1 sometime tomorrow. Really crap season, but still hope to get to a race next season. So much better than watching it on the box

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSun Nov 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Yeah just realised I got it wrong, what a twat lol

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 12:09 pm

I can save you all 12 months of hassle.

Vettel Wins It.

End of thread.

At the moment F1 is THE most boring sport on the planet.

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Fuck off have you watched snooker?!

quizeye

Kris Boyd

PostMon Nov 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Nath wrote:Fuck off have you watched snooker?!

Quite. Although Terry Griffiths on half speed would have been more entertaining than yesterday's parade.

The main hope for next year is that (a) Renault haven't got their engine spot on; and (b) neither Mercedes nor Ferrari have got theirs so spot on as to be tedious.

Able87

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: Twitch - Able87

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 8:40 pm

This season was even a struggle for me to watch.

Now they are saying the final race of next season is worth double points? What the fuck, jog on. What an utterly ludicrous idea!

Paul1986

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: thepaulsinclair

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Able87 wrote:This season was even a struggle for me to watch.

Now they are saying the final race of next season is worth double points? What the fuck, jog on. What an utterly ludicrous idea!

Got to agree for once - that seems a ludicrous idea - couldn't believe it when I heard it

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostMon Dec 16, 2013 11:35 am

Christ I thought that double points thing was a joke :/

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Sounds like Infinity Ward are organizing the races now.

What's next - 3 poles in a row and the opposition can only use 1st and 2nd Gear for the first 5 laps ?

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

• Twitter: yodathecoder

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Well if they're going to introduce completely ridiculous rules, here is my vote.

Le Mans style start, with the drivers having to run from their pit garage to their cars. The catch is, you can choose any car! Also the teams can set the cars up however they like, so even if you're the first to reach Red Bull 1 it might have been set up with zero down-force and the KERS button wired to an ejector seat.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostTue Dec 17, 2013 3:22 pm

what about adding Spy Hunter type accessories to the cars?

or the ability to fling red and green tortoise shells at the opposition?

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 7:50 am

Bit quiet this year Able :)

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 7:55 am

bit boring though isn't it?

Mercedes dominating the sport is just as boring as Red Bull dominating....although it is fun seeing the spotty German pissing and moaning

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 8:05 am

Like I said earlier nath, last year even bored me, I must have only watched about 5 last year and I've not bothered this at all this time around.

Seems a bit dead in here too, guess everyone else feels the same. I've hardly had anyone rubbing in Hamiltons dominance.

Only thing I'm bothered about is me winning my vettel gets more champs than Schumacher bet I put on about 6/7 years ago.

Apart from that, meh. It's all about pigskin and pucks for me.

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 8:42 am

I wouldn't say it's boring really, Mercedes had the early advantage but other teams seem to have closed the gap a bit this weekend. Hamilton got away ridiculously clean at the start, like Vettel last year, and just pulled up a massive gap while those in 2nd/3rd/4th were fighting among themselves.

Rosberg got caught in the fight, just taken 2nd place and a long way behind his team mate.

Top 10 just now is Merc, Merc, Ferrari, RBR, RBR, Force India, Williams, Ferrari, Force India, Torro Rosso

That's 5 out of the top 10 on non-Mercedes engines there, which would tell me the other manufacturers have found something out in testing last week to get better performance. Not quite as good as Mercedes' but catching up.

This year whoever got the best start, in terms of their engineering, was always going to have the advantage and likely go on to win the Constructors, so in that much it's a hollow F1 season but next season when they've caught up a bit and developed more I think it'll be closer.

Bear in mind that last season Mercedes even came out and said they'd given up on the 2013 engines and had pooled all their resources into the 2014 engine, whereas most other manufacturers were still spending alot of money on last years car which was going to be obsolete. They just had the head start, my interest is further down the grid with people like Ricciardo doing alot better than Vettel, Bottas doing better than Massa etc. alot of young/relatively inexperienced drivers doing better than World Champions and vastly experienced drivers

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 am

Awarding double points for certain races is enough to put me off.

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Able87 wrote:Awarding double points for certain races is enough to put me off.

Only for last race - stupid but by that point double points, single points ... probably won't even matter

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Barely worth my time this season, ultimately all that has changed is which team has the best car. At this rate the double points will just give Hamilton an even larger margin of victory, his DNF in Australia is the only thing maintaining the illusion of a contest.

Oh and the new engines sound shit!

Paul1986

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: thepaulsinclair

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Bahrain was one of the best races in years - Yes Mercedes have an advantage, but at least they have been allowed to race each other...

Further down the field the racing has been brilliant

Admittedly today was not the most compelling race - but nice to see Vettel being overtaken by his team mate again :sleep:

tomr182

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: PSN & Twitch- TomPyke

PostMon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Similar as others have said with a dominant team, but some big differences from where I'm sitting

The mercs can race, and have done, for some awesome racing and very tense - don't remember that with red bull?
Scraps all through the field for most of the race, last year, there was very little, then the odd DRS enabled overtake

The engines do sound weak on the TV, but if the racing continues as it has been, the sound is soon forgotten, plus from what I'm told it's still pretty good at the race itself albeit not what it was.

Roll on the European leg

akalongster

Mikkel Beck

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm loving it, particularly listening to Vettel acting like a petulant child!

Roll on Monza after which I will know what the cars actually sound like. Can't wait!

akalongster

Mikkel Beck

PostSun May 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Another absolutely brilliant race to watch that. From start to finish. Loved it. Lewis is the man though this season!

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSun May 11, 2014 2:19 pm

Although Mercedes are dominant like RBR were over the rest of the field, at least within Mercedes they are fighting! Highest praise I can give is that its akin to Prost v Senna for the in team battle

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostSun May 11, 2014 2:38 pm

Thought the race was pretty average to be honest, but I'm still loving every second of Lewis dominating the opposition and his team mate.

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSun May 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Just to clarify, im not saying they're as good as Prost & Senna. I'm saying it's good to see a championship team let their drivers go at it, rather than having a defined number 1 & 2 driver

tomr182

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: PSN & Twitch- TomPyke

PostMon May 12, 2014 10:10 am

relfyoftheboro wrote:Thought the race was pretty average to be honest, but I'm still loving every second of Lewis dominating the opposition and his team mate.

what he said

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

PostMon May 12, 2014 12:04 pm

The only thing that's keeping me interested is the teams letting their drivers race against each other, apart from that there is very little competition. The gulf in class between the teams was highlighted perfectly yesterday, RBR started 3rd and 15th and finished 3rd and 4th.

Return to Other Sports