It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:12 am

Michael Sam

The place to talk about Cricket, F1, NFL, NBA and any other sport you might have a thing for
  • Author

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

Michael Sam

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 12:30 am

Defensive End from Missouri, expected to be a Round 3 - 4 draft pick has come out.

Am I right in thinking this is the 1st time a mens professional league will have an openly gay player ?

ooooomikeooooo

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: ooooomikeooooo

Re: Michael Sam

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Wasn't there a Welsh rugby player that did last year or the year before?

DanBailey27

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: @DanBailey27

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 3:09 am

I think there are quite a few. Robbie Rodgers has done and he currently plays in the MLS for LA Galaxy.

Well done to this Michael Sam for doing what he has done. I've not heard of him but I applaud his courage for coming out, especially in such a volatile environment (by that I mean sport in general). The world has thankfully become less homophobic with a once majority now becoming the miniscule minority in terms of those people who are homophobic. Hopefully, it encourages more sports men and women to do the same and feel comfortable in doing so.

Stepper_T

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: Stepper_T

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 8:23 pm

I think there was a US footballer or a hockey player who came out in close season then didnt get picked for anyone the next so retired (might have been ancient and that's why he didnt get a club, not sure)

Able87

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: Twitch - Able87

PostMon May 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Didn't realise there was a post already on him.

Picked up by St Louis in the 7th.

Hope he has a successful career. Gu on lad.

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostMon May 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Orders for Michael Sam jerseys are ranking squarely with some of the NFL draft's biggest names, including defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and quarterbacks Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater.

Brian McCarthy, the NFL's vice president of communications, reports via Twitter that those five players lead the early demand among rookies. The rankings were tracked from sales at nflshop.com.

Added NFL PR's Joanna Hunter: "It is unprecedented for a Day 3 draft pick to be one of the top five rookies sold during draft weekend."

Manziel's jersey is atop the list, followed by Sam's, then those of Clowney, Bridgewater and Bortles. It's no doubt the first time a seventh-round draft choice has, at least initially, outsold the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, not to mention three first-round quarterbacks. But as the NFL's first openly gay draft choice, Sam's pro career is set to create firsts of all kinds. The next goal for Sam: Become the NFL's first openly gay player to make a 53-man roster.

That's impressive as fuck!

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostSun Aug 24, 2014 7:29 am

Has made two sacks in his last two games.

Took down Johnny football last night.

Hope he makes the cut and sticks on the Rams. Go on lad!

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostMon Sep 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Didn't make it. Wonder if he'll get on a practice squad somewhere.

(None of the other 7th rounders picked by Rams made it) Plus they have a class defence anyway, always a struggle for him

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 11:16 am

Looks like he's heading to Dallas on their Practice Squad

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostWed Sep 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Excellent news.

Not sure how well a Gay guy will go down in Texas? Maybe that's just naive of me. But good on him, here's hoping for him.

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostThu Sep 04, 2014 4:29 pm

Not naive mate, Texas is still part of the "bible belt" that is mahoosively anti-gay but pro-football ... suppose if he's good enough they'll turn a blind eye but if hes not he'll not hear the end of it

Return to Other Sports