It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Live German shunting

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

Capybara

Scott McDonald

Re: Live German shunting

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 9:10 am

I've been trying to work out the platforming. I can't find a decent plan of the station but it looks like platforms are numbered by chunk of concrete rather than faces. So each island there is a single platform with trains arriving and departing from both sides. I assume the north and south you can hear from the announcements in English denote which side of the platform the train is on, although that in itself is confusing as the station runs roughly SW-NE. Also, the Czech for 'North' is 'sever' so North is 'S' and South is 'J'. That was my Bank Holiday afternoon done for, anyroad.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 10:31 am

I take it you have been on Google Maps to have a look and get the lay of the land from there, being able to see the outlying areas may give you a better idea of where is where.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Yep, done that. It's a plan of the station and particularly the platform layout that's required. Even having 'deduced' the above, it still doesn't seem to tie up with what appears to be arriving and leaving.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 8:34 am

Wooo. White pointy in unusual platform alert.

edit: it left some time between 10:15 and 10:30 our time. You can check it on the archive feature.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 10:18 am

And it's back.

quizeye

Kris Boyd

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 8:12 pm

I don't know if I'm comfortable with this thread branching out to alternative stations.

quizeye

Kris Boyd

PostTue May 10, 2016 8:10 am

In the spirit of inquisitiveness, a bit of messing about with Google Translate leads one to this forum post, which confirms our (offline) suspicion that the northern and southern sections are different ends of the same platform face.

Also, the Wikipedia page for the station says it has 8 platforms with 24 "edges" between them.

That still doesn't solve how one differentiates between "left" and "right" though.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostMon May 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Sooooo .. that looks like 1 and 8 have two faces, N and S, and 2-7 have four each*. That would seem logical from the pictures. Presumably you go through the underpass and the stairs up to each 'chunk' are signed as 1, 2 etc then you head either N or S depending on the train you want and the platform indicators show you which side your train goes from. That would appear to be the case from this:

In the absence of any other evidence I guess there is only one way I'm going to find out for certain.

* that doesn't work out, does it? So see directly above.

quizeye

Kris Boyd

PostMon May 16, 2016 9:53 pm

I don't know about you, but I'm having trouble seeing evidence of anything, because I can never get the picture to load. I can hear the announcements but not see anything.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostTue May 17, 2016 10:03 am

I'm not having any problems. Which browser are you using (I think that's what you are supposed to say)?

The tram's been put to bed until July, though, which is a pity.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostWed May 18, 2016 12:28 pm

I've had a good look at it again and from Google satellite view and realise that the platform bottom left is a bay so really can only have two 'edges'. I can't for the life of me see how they get 24 though, however you work it out.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 1:06 pm

This is great. You can zoom right in to see individual tracks - underground as well. It works across Europe so adds interest to Plattling.

OpenRailwayMap

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostMon Jul 18, 2016 1:14 pm

The map helps in a way as you can zoom in on Prague station right down to platform level. Unfortunately the layout is as it seems from the live pictures and there's no way I can get only 24 faces from it. All I can think is that some of the 'platforms' only count as having two faces.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Getting back to the Plattling action, this Class 232 Ludmilla has been hanging around for the past few days. You don't see many diesel engines hanging around these parts (apart from shunters) and it's the first time I've seen one of these. Basically they are ex-DDR Soviet Union-built engines. It actually headed a train of freight out earlier today so I'm wondering if it took the unelectrified line to Deggendorf.

http://webcam.deg.net/?a=showcam&w=showarchivimage&o=pla&id=201611291315

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostFri Dec 16, 2016 9:07 am

It looks like we've had a sprinkling of snow. But be quick.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 am

218 alert. The driver has just parked it in a siding at the near end of the platform.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 1:55 pm

After several months' absence, the tram's back.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 5:19 pm

They've changed the page a bit and the clock is about three minutes behind actual time. But it's bang on for the two Deggendorf cams so I'm not sure what is going on.
Previous

Return to Anything & Everything