It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Last film you watched and a rating

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

Tom

Ian Baird

Re: Last film you watched and a rating

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 6:13 pm

terminaljunkie wrote:
Baby Driver - the absolute tits. Go see it.

On my list for this week!

Heard nothing but raving positives about this movie.

Deserves the praise, in my opinion. The way it's all timed to the soundtrack is something else, there's been flashes of it in his other work but to carry it on for more-or-less the whole film is so impressive. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Spiderman Homecoming - it's good. Holland and Keaton are class in the lead roles, there's a tidy little twist that I genuinely didn't see coming, a couple of intense scenes towards the end and a genuinely very funny final post-credits scene (that didn't require a Google to fully understand, which is always nice). It's all a bit too light for me though, I prefer my Marvels to have a bit more about them - Iron Man 3 and the two Captain 'Murica sequels are still the standouts in the franchise, for me - and it's three films on the bounce now that just feel like they're treading water between the next genuine plot/character development.

That said, I'm still into Ragnarok (which looked superb from the trailers), and I'm into Black Panther, and not turning up for IW 1 and 2 at this point would be silly. So I'm still going to throw at least £50 at this franchise. So I guess it doesn't even matter at this point!

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 8:24 am

THE MUMMY - 6.5

The reviews for this are dreadful, watched it as the wife and I both like Tom Cruise - I didn't mind it to be honest. Kind of hits a wall when Russell Crowe's character appears, I didn't get him at all. The zombies have a bit of threat about them (more than the Walking Dead etc where they just walk and can be killed off without even looking at them) and can even swim underwater which I think is a first! Some good action scenes, couple of funny bits, was alright for a Saturday night with a takeaway film

LOGAN - 7.0

Enjoyed it, good fighting scenes, I like Hugh Jackman and the little girl was excellent. Can't stand Stephen Merchant and Patrick Stewart I found annoying aswell

======================================================================================================
Previous 2017 scores:
8.5 ARRIVAL
8.0 THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE, TRAIN TO BUSAN, KONG SKULL ISLAND
7.5 HELL OR HIGH WATER, NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA, SPLIT, DESPICABLE ME 3
7.0 THE WITCH, I, DANIEL BLAKE, MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001), GET OUT, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, WHY HIM?, LOGAN
6.5 DEEPWATER HORIZON, THE MUMMY
6.0 JACK REACHER 2, HACKSAW RIDGE
5.5 SISTERS, TRAINSPOTTING (1996), KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES
3.0 SILENCE
2.0 HOW TO BE SINGLE

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

PostSun Aug 06, 2017 10:11 pm

THE MUMMY
Tom Cruise can'rt have too much left as a front 'action man' figure - he plays exactly the same role anyway (but then the A- actors always tend to do that)

The good in this as LTS_3 mentioned were the zombie types, the spooky Mummy voiceover and a few decent quips along the way - especially between the Nick and Chris characters.

Beyond that it is a bit of a disaster as the screenplay is poor, the direction is weak at best, there is no chemistry on display between the leads, and in the end it all hinges on Cruise maintaining that likeable rogue front for the duration. What the point of the additional 'J&H character was I have no idea, but for me you could remove everything done by Crowe and lose nothing except continuity. This 'dark universe' banner that the film is made under needs some serious heavyweight thinking or the franchise is toast.

5.0 - Scrapes over the halfway line but I could easily have missed it completely and not cared less.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 am

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN - 6.5

Wife read the book so we watched this after. I struggled with the main character, but the film picked up in the last half an hour or so, was alright

======================================================================================================
Previous 2017 scores:
8.5 ARRIVAL
7.5 HELL OR HIGH WATER, NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA, SPLIT, DESPICABLE ME 3
7.0 THE WITCH, I, DANIEL BLAKE, MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001), GET OUT, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, WHY HIM?, LOGAN
6.5 DEEPWATER HORIZON, THE MUMMY, THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN
6.0 JACK REACHER 2, HACKSAW RIDGE
3.0 SILENCE
2.0 HOW TO BE SINGLE

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

This had some promising trailers and I was hoping that the franchise would go from strength to strength, even though the fresh feel of the original has gone the characters are established and need to be nurtured.

What I think i got was a brasher, more obvious, less charming and certainly inferior narrative compared to the original. It still has the happy vibe of its predecessor but it it lacks the effervescence, isn't as witty and is overlong for the content which proves a little disjointed, whilst a slice of mawkish Disney overkill in the final act had me getting a bit fidgety

7/10 - Visually it hits the spot, but it over-complicates what is really a simple story and plot and has lost a little of the spark from GOTG1.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Due to a series of very unfortunate events the toughest being our dogs illness resulting in her passing after being with us for nearly 15 years, I never got to see Baby Driver on the big screen :(

I'm going to see if it comes back around again on any local screens and go - if not I guess it's the projector!

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 4:38 pm

:(

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 9:00 am

CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS - 6.0

Animated movie for kids but one of the better ones in the last couple of years, Kevin Hart and Ed Helms are both good in it

IT - 7.5

Loved the original and Pennywise so was interested to see what they did with this - definitely feels like a 80s film like Stand By Me and The Goonies etc. The new Pennywise is class. There are a few JUMP moments, a couple in particular had the whole cinema at the same time, but its not 'scary' or really a horror film I wouldnt say. Quite a few funny bits in it throughout aswell which takes away from the creepiness. Couple of the kids were a bit annoying but the young girl looks like she has got a big future ahead of her

Previous 2017 scores:
8.5 ARRIVAL
7.5 HELL OR HIGH WATER, NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA, SPLIT, DESPICABLE ME 3, IT
6.5 DEEPWATER HORIZON, THE MUMMY, THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN
6.0 JACK REACHER 2, HACKSAW RIDGE, CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS
3.0 SILENCE
2.0 HOW TO BE SINGLE

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 pm

OKJA - Netflix Original 6.5/10

Cute little story which on the surface is about a young girl, her super pig and the corporation that wants to turn it into meat.

Its much more layered than that though and is a commentary on our society, the power of corporations and above all else, greed.

Main criticism is the acting. It was either poor (the young girl playing the main protagonist) or over done (Jake Gyllenhaal playing a American version of Chris Packham) and for me spoilt the film which is the main was decent. Story was believable if a little cartoony at times. Pacing was steady and the conclusion was satisfactory.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

• Twitter: @fannybatter78

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 pm

LTS_3 wrote:
IT - 7.5

Loved the original and Pennywise so was interested to see what they did with this - definitely feels like a 80s film like Stand By Me and The Goonies etc. The new Pennywise is class. There are a few JUMP moments, a couple in particular had the whole cinema at the same time, but its not 'scary' or really a horror film I wouldnt say. Quite a few funny bits in it throughout aswell which takes away from the creepiness. Couple of the kids were a bit annoying but the young girl looks like she has got a big future ahead of her

Those underpants, though!

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 pm

IT

Psycho clowns.
Nope.
Not.
Ever.
Never.

Able87

Juninho

• Twitter: Twitch - Able87

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 7:09 am

Kingsman - The Golden Circle

Loved the first one. One of my favorite easy watching films.

This is very poor in comparison. Stupid story, stupid Elton John.

Main character is still dynamite, and a few other strong characters.

Way too long for what it needed to be.~

Absolutely stupid car chase scene at the start.

If I gave the first one a 8.5/10

This gets a 5.5/10

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Baby Driver

So I had to settle for the projector but hey - the screen is massive and the 7.1 stereo ain't bad either so it was a great watch even if not the preferred one.

The film is absolutely stunning in its conception. music score, action, chemistry and all round delivery. It has I admit been a while since anything made me smile quite so much (probably driving a mad Subaru on a course last year) and it didn't stop there as I want to see it again!

9.5/10 - Easily the best thing I've seen on screen this year

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Baby Driver 7/10

My reason for not giving this a higher score is that I felt it missed an opportunity.

I absolutely loved the concept of this film and felt it was well executed. However. the idea of making the music fit perfectly with the film wasn't used as much as it could've been. I was expecting the film to be almost like a music video where everything is choreographed to the music. It did do this, but not all the way through which I think was a shame.

When it was done, it was done brilliantly. I just wanted more.

Really good film which I would defo watch again.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 8:07 am

Baby Driver - 8/10

thought it would be shit

it wasn't

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 8:08 am

Spiderman Homecoming - 9/10

ok. so i'm a big fan of the MCU and Spiderman in particular, i just think they pretty much nailed it with this film, can't wait to see more!

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 9:09 am

Would ^^ be suitable for a 6 year old?

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 9:46 am

if he likes Spiderman then yeh

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 am

SPIDERMAN - 7.0

Watched this with my kids, I'm not normally a fan of these superhero films and haven't been ar5ed about previous Spiderman movies (largely due to Garfield and Maguire, neither of whom I like watching). This felt more fun than previous ones and I think it benefitted from a younger lad doing it

IT COMES AT NIGHT - 7.0

Wasn't sure what to expect of this as I hadn't read much about it, I would suggest if you watch it to do the same. Felt a bit like The Witch and Get Out, I quite enjoyed it and it's done in under an hour and a half

BAYWATCH - 6.5

Enjoyed this more than I thought I would, probably owing a large part to the fact that I have always loved The Rock. Him and Zac Efron are good together in this, some funny bits, a couple of decent action sequences and the main women are amazing

KIDNAP - 4.0

Halle Berry's son gets kidnapped, she chases the kidnappers. Does my head in when people talk to themself on film/tv, she does loads of that. Probably could have been an idea for a decent film, but sh1te acting and script let it down badly

ROUGH NIGHT - 3.5

(Wife wanted to watch it) Tame female version of The Hangover / Very Bad Things, very few laughs and jokes that just fall flat on their face. Scarlett Johannson and Zoe Kravitz can't save it

GIRLS TRIP - 3.5

(Wife wanted to watch it) Black version of above. Same result

Previous 2017 scores:
8.5 ARRIVAL
7.5 HELL OR HIGH WATER, NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, MANCHESTER BY THE SEA, SPLIT, DESPICABLE ME 3, IT
7.0 THE WITCH, I, DANIEL BLAKE, MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001), GET OUT, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, WHY HIM?, LOGAN, SPIDERMAN, IT COMES AT NIGHT
6.5 DEEPWATER HORIZON, THE MUMMY, THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, BAYWATCH
6.0 JACK REACHER 2, HACKSAW RIDGE, CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS
4.0 KIDNAP
3.5 ROUGH NIGHT, GIRLS TRIP
3.0 SILENCE
2.0 HOW TO BE SINGLE
Last edited by LTS_3 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 11:55 am

relfyoftheboro wrote:I was expecting the film to be almost like a music video where everything is choreographed to the music. It did do this, but not all the way through which I think was a shame.

I thought that at first, but then figured it was a deliberate thing by Wright. When Baby is in control of the situation everything is timed with the music, but when he loses control the timing drops off and it makes the scenes that bit more chaotic.

There are a few scenes that don't quite fit with this idea - scenes with shooting being the obvious ones - but otherwise I think it not being tightly choreographed is kind of the point.
Previous

Return to Anything & Everything