It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Last film you watched and a rating

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

Biggjambo

Joseph-Desire Job

Re: Last film you watched and a rating

PostWed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Wreck It Ralph - 7/10
New one from Disney animation (not Pixar) that asks the question "what's it like being a baddy in a video game?" We meet our protagonist, Wreck It Ralph, at the start of the film and he explains how he became the baddy in an old school, 8-bit arcade game called Fix It Felix Jr. We see how he's misunderstood and shunned by the rest of the population of the game and how this spurs him on to win a medal of his own so he can finally be accepted.
A decent animated film with plenty of gaming references for young and old alike, with some nice comic touches and a decent story to boot. Will definitely keep the kids occupied for an hour and a half - worth a look.

offside_ruel_fox

Yakubu

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 1:40 am

Donkey Punch - 5/10

Pretty girls and boys on a boat, sex and drug use, boy accidentally kills girl and everyone pretty much gets killed. Interesting idea but felt the end was a little weak.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 9:36 am

offside_ruel_fox wrote:Donkey Punch - 5/10

Pretty girls and boys on a boat, sex and drug use, boy accidentally kills girl and everyone pretty much gets killed. Interesting idea but felt the end was a little weak.

tits?

Sprog

Scott McDonald

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 10:33 am

Lincoln
Very heavy, very political. Superbly acted, Tommy Lee Jones stole the show for me. The key is that their are two battles going on, both bloody and horrid, one for votes, one to defeat the south.
Film concentrates on the relationships in Lincolns life.
Mrs Sprog not a history buff but really enjoyed it.
8.5/10

Esky

Mikkel Beck

PostSat Feb 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Saw 3 films yesterday

Wreck It Ralph - Really good. Pixar delivering again, its the usual feel good film from them but certainly not like what they have produced in the past. The subtle little things will make you smile (like the noise Felix makes when hes bouncing around) and its definately aimed at families as there are some old school characters that will have the older crowd reminising. Not on the level of Toy Story 3 but still a really good film 8/10

I Give It A Year - I thought this was disappointing. I think Rose Byrne is really good but she just seemed to coast along without anything stand out funny in this, but my main gripe was the other lead, Josh. They both have their own stories seperate from their married life and i guess you are supposed to pick a side and root for one, but this character is very unlikeable. When you dislike one of the main leads you cant really look at it on a fair basis. There is a few laughs in the film and it is funny, but i think i was disappointed as i had read that it was extremely funny through out when realistically the comedy is only here and there 6/10

The Impossible - Bloody hell this is an intense film. A true story about a family's horrific ordeal with the tsunami, it was always going to be hard hitting. There is not much to say without giving much away what happens in the film. I think with true stories it can be difficult, sometimes there isn't enough detail and sometimes you feel there is too much, but i think this finds a good middle ground. The writing is strong but its made by the character performances, most notably from Naomi Watts and Tom Holland, who put in superb performances and really tug at the heart strings. Ewan McGregor and the other 2 kids have strong displays too but definately Watts and Holland who stole the show 8/10

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 10:22 am

Looper - 5/10

an interesting premise but it just bored me.....

akalongster

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: @akeithsaunders

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Sprog wrote:Lincoln
Very heavy, very political. Superbly acted, Tommy Lee Jones stole the show for me. The key is that their are two battles going on, both bloody and horrid, one for votes, one to defeat the south.
Film concentrates on the relationships in Lincolns life.
Mrs Sprog not a history buff but really enjoyed it.
8.5/10

Watched it on the flight home Friday night. I was knackered but this film kept me so engrossed I watched every minute of it (great I could pause it for dinner tho). Worth more than 8.5 I reckon, so 9.25 from me....

Ayresome_82

Kris Boyd

• Twitter: JD882

PostSun Feb 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Bronson.

Wasn't sure what to expect from this. I have obviously heard of Charles Bronson, AKA Michael Peterson, but wasn't familiar with the reasons behind his lengthy prison stay. Thought Tom Hardy played a good part, the film kept my attention throughout, despite being slightly bizarre at times was entertaining and well put together, reminded me of Clockwork Orange in parts.

Worth a watch I would say.

8/10.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 am

Water for Elephants
The story is 'nice' in a romantic but unchallenging way and at the end it left my other half completely satisfied, but me wondering when it would 'start' - some decent performances but nothing to get your teeth into!

6/10

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 am

terminaljunkie wrote:at the end it left my other half completely satisfied, but me wondering when it would 'start' - some decent performances but nothing to get your teeth into!

sounds like our lasses sex life

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

• Twitter: @fannybatter78

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 11:59 am

sounds like our lasses sex life

:happy:

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

WRECK-IT RALPH - 6.5/10

First let me say I love Disney/Pixar. Secondly let me say I love computer games and consoles and have done since I got an NES with Super Mario and Duck Hunt for Xmas in 1989.

So, I should have loved this. But I didn't. Can't really put my finger on why, but when I saw the trailer of him sat in the baddies anonymous meeting with all the other characters from games I just assumed the whole film would be like that, then I would have loved it

What happens is that goes on for about 10mins, then after that virtually no other games characters are in it. Fix It Felix is voiced by Kenneth from 30 Rock who is perfect for it, and I like John C Reilly as Ralph. Just wasn't that bothered about the story and think they could have done a lot more with the licenses that they had obviously paid for

My little lad literally has me watching Toy Story 1, 2 and 3 on REPEAT at the minute (I could recite each line for line atm) - but I'm still not THAT bothered as it is quickfire gags and there is loads going on. I definitely couldn't watch WIR again this week I don't think, never mind twice tonight and again in the morning

DREDD - 4/10

The suits, guns and that look good but this is basically just a tame/sh1tter version of The Raid. Not entirely sure it is an improvement on the Stallone version (can't remember much of it apart from Sly saying I AM THE LAWWWWW)

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

• Twitter: yodathecoder

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Wreck It Ralph is just Disney, not Pixar. I enjoyed it but thought it was lacking something, maybe that Pixar spark (although Brave was Pixar and that didn't impress TBH)

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

PostMon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 pm

The Infidel - 7/10

The story of a moderate Muslim man who, while clearing out his recently deceased mother's house, discovers he is adopted and his birth parents were Jewish. While he's dealing with this upset his son is hoping to become engaged to the step-daughter of a radical cleric. A feeble ending lets down an otherwise fine comedy.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 3:50 pm

The Possession 6.5/10

The ususl run of the mill demon pessesion film about a little girl who buys a box from a garden bootsale, only to find there is a demon inside it.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 5:00 pm

BUG - 4/10

When I watched Mark Kermode's video review of Killer Joe, he raved about this film which is by the same director, he said it was better than Killer Joe.

It isn't. Thought the first hour or so was alright, but spent the last 30mins thinking 'f... me I wish this would hurry up and end' and almost turned it off a few times.

Stars Michael Shannon out of Boardwalk Empire as the main character, can see why he is being rumoured to play The Iceman as he goes nuts in this and could now see him doing that role, when I couldn't before.

Biggjambo

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Feb 13, 2013 5:26 pm

LTS_3 wrote:Stars Michael Shannon out of Boardwalk Empire as the main character, can see why he is being rumoured to play The Iceman

Sure I saw a trailer for this the other day, James Franco, Chris Evans and Ray Liotta are in it as well. Think it comes out summertime over here. I'm looking forward to seeing him as General Zod in Man Of Steel.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Feb 14, 2013 4:36 pm

(SP)ARGO - 6/10

Just didn't do anything for me. Watched Mark Kermode's review afterwards to check if I had missed something, and I hadn't, he just loved everything that I wasn't ar5ed about.

Didn't know what it was about before hand has just seen trailers, I thought it may have been some sort of comedy or political thriller, turns out it is both. The 'comedy' moments in it for me fell completely flat and I HATE films/TV that have supposedly heartwrenching/rousing music at points that tell you when you're supposed to feel something or that something is happening.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 11:57 am

THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS - 7/10

This is like a 70s kung-fu revenge movie, presented like one with the old titles and stuff, but its by RZA from the Wu Tang Clan and the soundtrack is mostly their music. Stars Russell Crowe, Lucy Liu, RZA, WWE's Batista and UFC's Cung Le among others. It's a bit like a more violent/fantasy version of House Of Flying Daggers

I thought the fight sequences were good and the special effects, weapons etc. Overall, I enjoyed it which is the main reason why I watch films

...so then I thought hmm lets see what Mark Kermode thinks about it - absolutely panned it! haha Definitely a game of opinions this film game

If someone asked me the question "Which did you ENJOY more, Argo or The Man With The Iron Fists?", I actually would say the latter.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 4:07 pm

Regarding Argo, LTS, I too thought it was rubbish. Great opening and ending but everything else it was just talking.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 4:23 pm

ALEX CROSS - 0.5/10

Switched it off after an hour (of 1:40), absolutely sh1te.

Sprog

Scott McDonald

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 5:24 pm

We watched the Swedish versions of the Millenium Trilogu (" The girl with the dragon tattoo" Etc).
really enjoyed them, very different from the recent film, a lot grittier and more believable 6.5

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 pm

I recommend Jo Nesbo's HEADHUNTERS, it is Swedish and was my favourite film of last year. They're making a US version, which will no doubt be gash

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Seven Psychopaths

Dark humour and sharp dialogue with great performances and a bloody crime/gangster story line underpin one of the most entertaining romps I've seen for a while. Loses its way for a while and does not have the overall sense of a complete work as did 'In Bruges', but even so it is something I could watch again for the performances and banter alone.

8/10

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Django - 9/10

Quality film.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Feb 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Atlas Shrugged II

Ayn Rand's philosophical/political/objectivist view of a dystopian USA brought to film...

Unfortunately the dense subject matter fails to come across on celluloid, the acting is wooden (even if it is marginally better than the first instalment), the and the whole is sometimes comically out of its depth...repeating a message does not make it so, show us don't preach!

2/10 - if they do make the final part I'll have to watch it now just to see whether it is as bad as the other two, and if they can inject any life/soul into the proceedings.

CosmicHerb

Marcus Bent

• Twitter: @BigHippyChris

PostMon Feb 18, 2013 1:32 pm

ZERO DARK THIRTY 7/10

Quite good, a bit long, but fascinating to see how they tracked down OBL and eventually nailed him.

ARGO 9/10

Really enjoyed it. The tension builds really well and the acting is excellent.

MarlonD

Peter Davenport

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 am

Contraband - 7.5/10

Not a bad film, helps that I like Whalberg as an actor.

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

PostWed Feb 20, 2013 10:03 am

Cockneys Vs Zombies - 7/10

I went in not expecting much TBH, but aside from a few sketchy CGI pieces I was pretty impressed. If you're looking for 90 minutes of shotgun-pumping, head-splattering action with a bit of rhyming slang thrown in you won't go far wrong... Me old china.

Also, Richard Briers in his final role.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Feb 21, 2013 5:27 pm

END OF WATCH - 7.5/10

Enjoyed that

MarlonD

Peter Davenport

PostFri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 pm

The Last Castle - 7/10

Not too bad.

MarlonD

Peter Davenport

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 8:35 am

The Dictator - 8/10

A lot of LOL moments for me, and how he has got away with some of the gags.............

Esky

Mikkel Beck

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Dredd - Not bad as far as action films go, pretty gory too. Better than expected - 8/10

Blue Valentine - Watched this after reading a review of some older unknown films. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams as a couple who are struggling and its a mix of how they got to where they are and how their lives are now. Didnt think much to it, Williams character was very unlikeable in a film where i think you are supposed to see both sides of the arguement (similar to I Give It A Year) - 5/10

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - Brilliant film. All the leads play a great role, the writing is good too. Has a proper indie film feel to it -9/10

sinky72

Fabrizio Ravanelli

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Django Unchained - 8.5/10 Really enjoyed it. Some top notch acting from a lot of the cast. Good to see Christoph Waltz getting best supporting actor last night.

Paul1986

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: thepaulsinclair

PostMon Feb 25, 2013 9:18 pm

Skyfall - Best Bond yet - Classy, smart, and fun with a few nods to the old Bond films 8.5/10

Avengers Assemble - Fantastic action film, great cast, thoroughly enjoyed - the Hulk is awesome, and Scarlett Johansson and Gwyneth Paltrow 8) - 9/10

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 am

Wreck it Ralph - 7/10

liked the style of it - Retro gaming appealed to the old gamer in me

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Feb 26, 2013 11:25 am

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER - 6.0/10

Watched it after seeing a few people on here saying how good it was. Read that it was directed by the bloke who did Juno, I didn't like it as much as that. Emma Watson looks miles better with the long wig on rather than the short hair.

My problem with films and tv programmes like this, is that people like this simply cannot exist - how many 16/17 year olds do you know or have experienced, or did experience when you were that age, who for example make eachother Christmas presents, or read books and talk about how great they are? This sh1t just does not happen!! When I was 17 I was at college studying/playing insane amounts of table tennis, glass collecting in The Venue, going out getting smashed on a Thursday and Sunday night, playing football, PS1/Dreamcast and had a girlfriend - these f...ers are sat reading The Great Gatsby and having discussions about it WTF F..K OFF, actually, I retract my score, 4.0/10

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 4:01 pm

SENNA - 9.0/10

Let me start by saying I'm not a big F1 fan, I have a fleeting interest at best.

This documentary/film is f...ing excellent.

I was born 1980 so when he was doing his best stuff I was too young to know about it, I just remember knowing his name and thinking 'I wish Mansell would beat Senna' whenever F1 was on, simply cos he was English. I knew nothing of the Prost rivalry before I watched this.

The old cars are absolutely brutal/class, they look and sound like proper cars, not like the fannies aeroplanes they drive now and good to see logos from late 80s like ICI and Candy etc

I love champions and seeing into their lives of what it takes to be one etc, but the bits that stood out in this were him in interviews and when he was flirting with the Japanese reporter and then again on stage with his future wife/girlfriend (the Prost interview with Selina Scott also, who btw wooo-woooo!) where you get to see them as normal men

I obviously knew he had died on the track and that someone had died the day before, so when the build up was on I knew it was coming - very strange but in his face it looked like he knew it was coming when he got into the car before he put helmet on.

I would say watching the final lap leading to the crash from the on board camera is the most tense I have felt watching a film in as long as I can remember, as I didn't know exactly when the crash was coming but knew it was coming at some point.

The section on the funeral nearly had me in tears interlacing footage of his mother/father/gf etc with old footage of them when he was alive.

Just excellent. P1ssed off at myself that I didn't watch it sooner.

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostWed Feb 27, 2013 4:51 pm

The Hobbit - 6.5/10 ... not sure why but I just didnt enjoy it, visually impressive etc though

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 am

Zero Dark Thirty

Loved the intensity but a lot of the early stuff was repetitive and the politics left me cold...the second half of proceedings is the meat on the bone and that I liked a lot.

7.5/10

MarlonD

Peter Davenport

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 8:55 am

Avengers Assemble - 7.5/10

Seemed to take itself far too seriously seeing as its based on a comic.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostMon Mar 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Django Unchained

Another great outing from Quentin Tarantino in a rollicking good shoot em up. The use of 'nigger' was a little overplayed but seemed in keeping with the over the top violence so to me was part of the story as much as the headshots etc.

9/10 "Django, have you always been alone?"

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:23 pm

THIS IS 40 - 4.5/10

Thought this would be funny given that I usually like Judd Apatow's stuff and also it's supposedly a sort of sequel to Knocked Up. I think I laughed 4 times. In the whole film. Paul Rudd plays the same character in every film, thought he was the weakest of the main four in Anchorman and he has done nothing above average since. It's around two hours long, which is far too long for what it is, and the last hour was very tedious it almost went off. Turns into a shouting/arguing relationship film, like The Break Up did and it just not entertaining or funny.

Chris O'Dowd plays exactly the same dumb character he always does, which is quickly wearing thin. And Jason Segel should have packed in after Forgetting Sarah Marshall, never done anything nearly as good since (and no I don't watch How I Met Your Mother, the canned laughter is horrendous)

The extra .5 above that Wallflower sh1te is awarded purely because Megan Fox is in it.

Humpty

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: @justcalledtosay

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Ruby Sparks

It's alright

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 7:08 pm

I watched The Mist again last night, didn't realise it had the three actors from The Walking Dead in it, Carol, Andrea and Dale.

Anyway, quality film, with an absolute brutal ending.

8/10

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 pm

WalterWhite wrote:I watched The Mist again last night, didn't realise it had the three actors from The Walking Dead in it, Carol, Andrea and Dale.

8/10

you should read the story it was based on - excellent short story by Stephen King

Biggjambo

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 pm

tunstall wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:I watched The Mist again last night, didn't realise it had the three actors from The Walking Dead in it, Carol, Andrea and Dale.

8/10

you should read the story it was based on - excellent short story by Stephen King

Seconded, great little short story/novella.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

PostSat Mar 09, 2013 12:31 am

The American - 5/10

Boring. Very little happens in the 1hr 45min running time. Soooo slow and drab.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostSat Mar 09, 2013 11:07 am

The Life of Pi - 8/10

Enjoyed it. Very surreal. Completely mental story. Beautifully realised and shot.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSat Mar 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Lincoln
A very good movie but talking is the core element and whilst I never became bored with the proceedings I did feel a lack of empathy, Daniel Day-Lewis anchored the whole thing together with a stunning performance whilst Tommy Lee Jones' star shone brightly but for me could not eclipse the lead. A little more action displayed not described would have pushed this into a near perfect film but as it is, I'm marking it down for the lack of 'drive'.

8/10
PreviousNext

Return to Anything & Everything