It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:27 am

Last film you watched and a rating

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

Re: Last film you watched and a rating

PostWed Jan 07, 2015 5:40 pm

THE INTERVIEW - 3.5/10

Well, that good year didn't last long. Just dreadful. Picks up SLIGHTLY once they meet Kim Jong Un, but that doesnt happen until 50mins deep and I had already considered turning it off twice before then. If it hadn't raised all the fuss with the hackers, nobody would have watched this based on reviews.

Don't know how much longer Franco and Rogen can get away with making absolute turkeys of 'comedies', think I smirked about 4 times

Biggjambo

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Jan 07, 2015 11:19 pm

I quite enjoyed the Interview, but then I do like the other Franco/Rogen comedies (This Is The End, Pineapple Express), probably because I have a puerile sense of humour. Yeah, I chuckled out loud where he has to deal with the parcel dropped behind enemy lines by drone. Horses for courses I guess.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 9:59 am

Pineapple Express was alright, every one they have done together since has just gone down and down. Franco's best role in recent times was in Spring Breakers.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 4:57 pm

THE DROP - 6.5/10

Starring two of my favourite actors, being James Gandolfini (RIP) and Tom Hardy, wanted a bit more to be honest.

Having re-watched the whole of The Sopranos again recently, I couldn't get Tony out of my head and therefore invest too much in this character - but tbh he isn't that much different anyway, except for being in New York as opposed to New Jersey and having a goatee.

Hardy doesn't really do much extravagant, I've read reviews saying its his most Brando-esque performance which must mean just looks moody and doesn't get too animated at any point.

Decent enough story, nothing groundbreaking, class little staffy puppy.

======================================================================================================

Previous 2015 scores:
9.0 FOXCATCHER
8.0 I AM ALI
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
3.5 THE INTERVIEW

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

• Twitter: @fannybatter78

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 9:10 am

American Sniper - 7/10

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 3:09 pm

A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES - 5.5/10

Liam Neeson goes round shooting people and sh1t again, just not as well as in Taken 1 again

======================================================================================================

Previous 2015 scores:
9.0 FOXCATCHER
8.0 I AM ALI
6.5 THE DROP
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
3.5 THE INTERVIEW

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

PostSat Jan 10, 2015 2:41 am

The Judge

I really enjoyed this, but I suspect it was a personal thing, I was in the mood for something with a bit of 'weight' but with a little humor along the way. This was just about perfect in fitting the bill, though the added mawkishness in the last third was overdone and probably diluted the whole thing for many. Duvall and Downey Jr are almost perfect in their roles, so much so that the lack of them in any piece makes the screen seem hollow, thankfully they are present for most of the movie so it works at least in part despite the cheesy overtures and improbably and risque romances.

6.5/10 In truth it is overblown and certainly overlong, but if you are in the mood for something more solid and dramatic and less 'shoot-em-up' and gymnastic, this may be the film for you.

Nath

Mark Viduka

PostSat Jan 10, 2015 10:09 pm

American Sniper - 8/10
The Interview - difficult, at times brilliant, at other times dogshit... Probably 5/10

relfyoftheboro

Scott McDonald

PostSun Jan 11, 2015 11:08 am

Birdman 4/10

Style over substance. Decent acting and interesting filming techniques but other than that, it was really boring.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Jan 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Hector and the Search for Happiness

Thought this started brightly and it retained its quirkiness throughout, but whilst Pegg does his best by investing in the character the movie as a whole flounders from around a third in and doesn't recover. This is partly because of the material since the 'life lessons' seem more a series of condescending nags set against a mishmash of ethnic backgrounds and stereotypes. In the end the piece veers into chick flick territory and falls rather flat on its arse.

5/10 - Pegg is way better than this and should be more selective in his choices of vehicle to air his talents. A bit of a soppy, soggy mess which is a shame given the potential that just about shows through.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 9:12 am

Unbroken - 10/10. No need to say anymore really.

r3wind

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

• Twitter: richystewart

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 9:29 am

Whiplash - Very good 8.5/10

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 5:45 pm

UNBROKEN - 9.5/10

Absolutely excellent. I'm 34 now and no matter how many war films I see or how good they are, I still can't accept this stuff actually happened.

Jack O'Connell is brilliant again. If this is the quality of films that Angelina Jolie directs, then she could be picking up a few Oscars over the next 20 years or so

Previous 2015 scores:
9.0 FOXCATCHER
8.0 I AM ALI
6.5 THE DROP
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
5.5 A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES
3.5 THE INTERVIEW

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Jan 13, 2015 5:34 pm

BIRDMAN - 3.0/10

Almost switched it off 3 times within the first hour. I will admit I went into it having literally only seen the poster and a very short description on a torrent site - I expected something like Hancock.

This imo was dreadful. Basically watching a play rehearsal for most of 2 hours. The only bits I remotely enjoyed were when the superhero in his head was talking to him/narrating. Emma Stone is very annoying in it and looks like a baghead.

I would honestly advise against wasting 2 hours of your life, despite some big names being in it, and pick another film from my list of scores below ... even The Interview.

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
9.0 FOXCATCHER
8.0 I AM ALI
6.5 THE DROP
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
3.5 THE INTERVIEW

relfyoftheboro

Scott McDonald

PostWed Jan 14, 2015 6:50 pm

What we do in the Shadows 9/10

Hilarious mockumentary about a group of vampires living in Wellington, New Zealand. Loads of Vampire lore stereotypes, but written in a very modern setting. They enjoy going out on the lash but cant get into nightclubs unless they are invited in :lol:

Really enjoyable little flick. Funny throughout and the story and setting work well.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostThu Jan 15, 2015 10:34 pm

John Wick

At first when I started to watch I sniggered a little, remembering the 'sad Keanu' meme from 2014 as indeed there is sadness that acts as a pre-trigger to the events that unfold. The story is familiar even if slightly twisted with an ex-hit man who has to settle a score but unlike many of the genre instead of it leading on violence this seems to have a bit of a classy feel with great visuals and a lot of attention to detail around the players, there is also an almost nonchalant approach to the savage fight scenes which is largely because Reeves seems to flow through them as if (and possibly intended) almost ghostly. The action and choreography itself is superbly done which may well be a result of the direction, which is in part by David Leitch and Chad Stahelski who made their names as a stuntmen in early life. The plot is thin and the cliches all come through at some point but in the end the product is more than the sum of its parts.

8/10 - All in all a lot of fun though there is precious little humor and despite the overkill in body count, I enjoyed this way more than 'The Equalizer'' which had a similar revenge against the bad guys premise.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 4:28 pm

THE GAMBLER - 5.5/10

Mark Wahlberg does some big gambling. Was alright, that's about it.

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
9.0 FOXCATCHER
8.0 I AM ALI
6.5 THE DROP
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

TheFace

Marcus Bent

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 9:58 pm

relfyoftheboro wrote:What we do in the Shadows 9/10

Hilarious mockumentary about a group of vampires living in Wellington, New Zealand. Loads of Vampire lore stereotypes, but written in a very modern setting. They enjoy going out on the lash but cant get into nightclubs unless they are invited in :lol:

Really enjoyable little flick. Funny throughout and the story and setting work well.

just watched this

funny film
:D

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 11:27 am

I watched Cyberbully, which was kinda a short film. 7/10

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 3:42 pm

Two more pearls for 2015

BIG HERO 6 - 8.0/10

Watched this with my 3 year old at the weekend,latest one from Disney, didn't really know what it was about beforehand. Quite slow to start, but is excellent once the main character (the inflatable michelin man kind of thing you will have seen in promotional material) appears. Turns into a superhero movie and is really good. Pulls a few heartstrings and also breaches the subject of death which is unusual for a kids movie. Anyone who likes Disney/Pixar/Marvel will enjoy it

AMERICAN SNIPER - 9.0/10

Have had this on my laptop for a while but was holding off seeing it as I thought it would be better seen on the big screen - went to see it with wife last night and both thought it was excellent. Some really tense moments and some proper naughty ones too (such as the drill incident). I had read about the subject beforehand, maybe it would have been even more tense if I had not - so avoid reading about it if you can.

Bradley Cooper I like on the whole, some films he can be overly smarmy, but in this he is very good, as is Sienna Miller who is a straight 10.

Worst thing about the film is by far the fake babies/dolls they use, I think my 3 year old neice has more realistic ones! They literally jump out of the screen at you they're so bad, there's an article about it here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/oscars/11354570/American-sniper-plastic-babies.html

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
9.0 FOXCATCHER
8.0 I AM ALI
6.5 THE DROP
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
5.5 A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES, THE GAMBLER
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostMon Jan 19, 2015 4:52 pm

John Wick - Keanu Reeves plays an assassin who comes out of retirement all because some some d1ck nicks his car and kills his pet pooch. Way over the top action b0ll0x.

5.5/10

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 5:41 pm

JOHN WICK - 5.0/10

I like Keanu Reeves but just couldn't be ar5ed with this at all

WILD - 6.5/10

This won't be for everyone, its basically Reece Witherspoon hiking and having flashbacks of what led she did before hiking, lot of walking, some excellent scenery, I didn't mind it.

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
9.0 FOXCATCHER, AMERICAN SNIPER
8.0 I AM ALI, BIG HERO 6
6.5 THE DROP
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
5.5 A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES, THE GAMBLER
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Jan 26, 2015 3:19 pm

INHERENT VICE 5.5/10

Fancied this after seeing the trailer, might just be me but I think the film isn't like what the trailer promises you tbh. The trailer is loud, fast, exciting - the film is slow, very very quiet at times and not very exciting

Loads of good actors in it, I think Joaquin Phoenix is hilarious even when not in comedy, Owen Wilson I like, Josh Brolin I like and Eric Roberts ... just didn't do much for me unfortunately. And it weighs in at 2hr30m which usually puts me off films straight away, took me three sittings to finish this

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
8.0 I AM ALI, BIG HERO 6
6.5 THE DROP, WILD
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
5.5 A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES, THE GAMBLER, INHERENT VICE
5.0 JOHN WICK
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostMon Jan 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Against The Sun 7.75/10

Pretty similar to Unbroken, but without the POW camp.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 am

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING - 8.5/10

Very good. Didn't know if I fancied it but it is done really well. What I find strange in life is when you grow up with someone being old from as long as you can remember, like Stephen Hawking, your mind just doesn't consider that they had a their own young life once. Interesting to see the back story of this, his illness etc, not sure how embellished or truthful it is but it is a nice story and makes you think you never know what is around the corner for any of us.

I like Eddie Redmayne when Ive seen him on tv/interviews etc, and he deserves everything he gets from this performance

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
8.5 THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING
8.0 I AM ALI, BIG HERO 6
6.5 THE DROP, WILD
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
5.0 JOHN WICK
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

DanBailey27

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: @DanBailey27

PostWed Jan 28, 2015 2:58 am

Gone Girl

I'd made a start on the book but barely got 10 pages in. So decided to give the film a go. It is a brilliant film, and unbelievably captivating but I must admit it's one of the most chilling films I have ever seen, accompanied by one of the most psychotic characters I have ever come across. It's brilliant throughout and although some twists you do see coming (I sorta guessed she staged the whole thing from early on but the lengths she went to and the way she came back along with the events with her old flame staggered me), most you really don't and they pack a punch. I do have to say though, the way it ends is exceptional but really quite annoying at the same time. It's a 'happily ever after' ending for all intents and purposes, but replace the adverb 'happily' with 'psychotically' and you're on the money.

Bravo Gillian Flynn, and bravo Rosamund Pike who has played a character that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jan 29, 2015 12:11 pm

ZODIAC (2007) - 8.0/10

Been meaning to watch this for ages and seeing Nightcrawler recently reminded me on. Bit long at 2.45 but really good, gets a bit hectic toward then end. Some really good actors in it, nice soundtrack, very interesting story in a case which still hasn't actually been solved

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
8.0 I AM ALI, BIG HERO 6, ZODIAC (2007)
6.5 THE DROP, WILD
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
5.0 JOHN WICK
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSat Jan 31, 2015 11:54 pm

The Imitation Game

Beguiling and skillful telling of Alan Turing's remarkable achievements from director Morten Tyldum is loaded with talent and does not disappoint. Benedict Cumberbatch plays an awkward, vulnerable and driven genius just about perfectly ably aided by superb performances from Keira Knightley and Mark Strong.

To date I've had Eddie Redmayne from'The Theory of Everything' in the Oscars seat as best actor, but on this showing Cumberbatch beats even that with an intensity and verve that is compelling as it carries us through the triumph and despair of his life.

9.5/10 - The cinematic screenplay is somewhat embellished (based on books I've read about Turing) to add drama and effect, but the portrayal of the man and the fascinating and pioneering work the team did in the war years is just brilliant. See it.

CorruptBiggins

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: DanStokoe

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 3:06 am

I loved The Imitation Game because of the performances from the actors regardless of the complete accuracy of the story.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Wild Card

Remake of an old Burt Reynolds movie, which never really gelled with the screenwriter, William Goldman but in this outing has Jason Statham playing the lead as 'Nick Wild'. The scenario is familiar enough, good guy tries to help friend avenge herself against a sadistic gangster after a brutal attack but is earmarked for death as a consequence.

Lots of fight sequences, some quite cleverly done do not make up for the lack of spark between any of the protagonists, it just feels flat throughout and fails to convince you that this is any kind of gang related underground that could possibly exist. The distraction of a rich young entrepreneur wanting Nick to show him how to be something and face down his fears does not seem to work as if it was shoehorned in to allow one or two scenes to work.

5/10 - action man lacks plan or bang in Vegas

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 5:30 pm

THE IMITATION GAME 7.0/10

Thought this was a good story and I don't really know much about Enigma etc so will read up following this. Felt a bit too forced 'feel-good' for me at times (with music to tell you when to feel like something was happening) and imo is one for the upper classes - I can't imagine it being a hit in Middlesbrough if you looked at cinema seat sales for example

Regarding Cumberbatch being up for an Oscar, again imo, his performance in this is nowhere near Eddie Redmayne's - for me, he simply talks in a slightly posher version of his own voice (as does Kiera Knightley) where Redmayne is physically acting all sorts of emotions and disabilities for a lot of the film

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
8.0 I AM ALI, BIG HERO 6, ZODIAC (2007)
7.0 THE IMITATION GAME
6.5 THE DROP, WILD
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
5.0 JOHN WICK
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Feb 12, 2015 10:44 am

STILL ALICE 8.0/10

Watched this having seen Julianne Moore pick up best actress at the BAFTAs - I haven't seen all of the ones that were nominated, but she is excellent in this.

Story about a woman who gets Alzheimers and the effects on her and her family. I will say that I probably liked it more as our family have personal experience of this horrible disease (if you haven't then you may not get into it so much), I was ruined for the last 25mins :'(

My issues with it were the casting of Alec Baldwin and Kristen Stewart as her husband and her daughter - I love Alec Baldwin, but I cannot get Jack Donaghy (30 Rock) out of my head when I see him in anything now, which for me is the best thing he has ever done - it doesnt help that Julianne Moore was his girlfriend in that too for a few episodes. Kristen Stewart though for me is one of the worst actresses in Hollywood at the minute, how she continually gets jobs where she just pulls the same faces and walks round with scruffy hair and no make up is beyond me

Year of excellent individual performances continues ...

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
8.0 I AM ALI, BIG HERO 6, ZODIAC (2007), STILL ALICE
7.0 THE IMITATION GAME
6.5 THE DROP, WILD
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO
5.0 JOHN WICK
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

Sprog

Scott McDonald

PostFri Feb 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Jupiter ascending
utter garbage
avoid

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Feb 20, 2015 12:36 pm

FIFTY SHADES OF GREY 6.0/10

Probably be the only man to admit I've seen it on here, but went to see it with wife last weekend - was probably a 85:15 women to men ratio in the Showcase, completely sold out. Had tried to get into UGC and of all four screenings I checked, all that was left was very front row or single seats.

Film itself was ok no more. The s3x scenes were not as hard or graphic as in other mainstream films imo - haven't read the book so don't know what was left out. The main lass is cute enough, got a 5h1t haircut though which makes her less appealing. Jamie Dornan is excellent in The Fall series and can obviously act, works with the script he is given here - will prob be known as Mr Grey forever given that theyre doing another two and women don't watch decent stuff like The Fall

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
7.0 THE IMITATION GAME
6.5 THE DROP, WILD
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO, FIFTY SHADES OF GREY
5.0 JOHN WICK
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 am

THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS (2006) - 6.0/10

Never seen this before, was alright - not sure I bought Will Smith as the main character - transforming him from superfit movie star to down and out just by having him grow an afro/sideburns/tash. Does a lot of running in it. Good story although surely the unluckiness has been embelished from the true story

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
7.0 THE IMITATION GAME
6.5 THE DROP, WILD
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO, FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS (2006)
5.0 JOHN WICK
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSat Mar 07, 2015 1:08 am

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Thought this was pretty epic, but it just didn't have the clout o the LoTR films - had it come first as it should have then we may have been blown away by the telling and effects along with the battle scenes, but since Jackson set the bar so high nigh on 10 years earlier this just about satisfies by concluding an unnecessarily bloated tale.

I thought Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage were excellent but this time out Ian McKellen went through the motions along with a number of original LoTR cast members. Some great special effects and drama, but the most telling and (for me) singular moments were with Thorin as he wrestles with his madness.

7.5/10 - To be honest I am glad it is over, it became a slog through greed not artistry or storytelling and that is a shame. In the end the last one just about redeemed the franchise.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostSun Mar 15, 2015 7:31 pm

The Theory of Everything 8/10

Really captivating, from beginning to end.

CorruptBiggins

Mikkel Beck

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 1:56 am

Chappie - 7/10

Almost worth it just to see Hugh Jackman with a mullet, I found it to be an enjoyable and poignant film which didn't go exactly how I thought it would be after seeing the trailers. If you're a fan of Die Antwoord you'll love it.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 11:11 am

^^ I noticed she was in it - is their music on the soundtrack?

CorruptBiggins

Mikkel Beck

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 1:33 pm

It definitely sounded like their stuff was playing through out most of the film.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Mar 22, 2015 9:08 pm

Not one, but a series of made for TV films which star Bill Nighy (and a superb supporting cast in each) as Johnny Worricker who is an MI5 officer exposing some very dubious goings on in the political world. The shows are a mix of light drama/action/thriller and very well put together with Nighy on top form.

Page Eight
Turks & Caicos
Salting the Battlefield

8.5/10 Altogether a series of TV films that is well worth a watch, though I think the final one was a little less gutsy and probably brought the score down by half a point.

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

• Twitter: yodathecoder

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 9:03 am

terminaljunkie wrote:Not one, but a series of made for TV films which star Bill Nighy

Say no more, I'll watch that guy in anything.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Mar 26, 2015 10:15 am

FOCUS - 6.0/10

Another Will Smith film, he is good, Margot Robbie is nectar. Don't know who gave the dickhead off the horrendous Orange Wednesday adverts a role mind. I enjoyed the first half but then kind of drifted off and ended up messing about on my phone for the last half an hour. New Orleans looks class in it

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
7.0 THE IMITATION GAME
6.5 THE DROP, WILD
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO, FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS (2006), FOCUS
5.0 JOHN WICK
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 4:37 pm

YodaTheCoder wrote:
terminaljunkie wrote:Not one, but a series of made for TV films which star Bill Nighy

Say no more, I'll watch that guy in anything.

Forgot to say they are on Netflix as well as usual places.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 10:56 am

INTERSTELLAR - 7.0/10

Not really sure what to say - firstly I'm not overly keen on Sci-Fi films, but there have been some that I have enjoyed in last couple of years (Gravity, Elysium, Edge of Tomorrow). Thought it looked really good, but maybe space looked less stunning or new because it is similar to Gravity a year or so ago. The fact that it was 2.50 long put me off watching it for months to be honest, although it didn't quite seem that long whilst watching

McConaspelling very good, the little girl very good, I like Chastain aswell, and the cameo good too (which I had not heard about beforehand) - Hathaway as someone else said, not really sure about and the sooner she gets rid of the boy haircut the better

Quite a bit of sci-fi babble in there and not sure how much of it is true or realistic or possible. As Kermode said in his review, there's a bit in the spaceship where they are about 5mins before going into a wormhole or blackhole and one of the pilots explains to another one what a wormhole is!? haha I would think someone on a mission going into one might have found out beforehand what one is!

Going off my other scores for this year, I will give it a 7 probably mostly for visuals and a couple of strong performances

Previous 2015 scores:
9.5 UNBROKEN
7.0 THE IMITATION GAME, INTERSTELLAR
6.5 THE DROP, WILD
6.0 DUMB AND DUMBER TOO, FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS (2006), FOCUS
5.0 JOHN WICK
3.5 THE INTERVIEW
3.0 BIRDMAN

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Apr 05, 2015 4:33 pm

blackhat

Michael Mann's attempt to make a more grounded hacker type film is bathed in his usual stylish and moody textures in terms of on screen depiction, but this is the only thing that is of any value in the film. It lacks substance, is uneven, has no humour and falls into the trap of making the 'hacker' as well as being a super-nerd some kind of action hero who can take down skilled opponents at will.

3/10 - not sure why I stuck it out, perhaps thought Mann would pull it together in the final third, but that was as joyless as the rest of this waste of time.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostSun Apr 05, 2015 8:09 pm

terminaljunkie wrote:blackhat

Michael Mann's attempt to make a more grounded hacker type film is bathed in his usual stylish and moody textures in terms of on screen depiction, but this is the only thing that is of any value in the film. It lacks substance, is uneven, has no humour and falls into the trap of making the 'hacker' as well as being a super-nerd some kind of action hero who can take down skilled opponents at will.

3/10 - not sure why I stuck it out, perhaps thought Mann would pull it together in the final third, but that was as joyless as the rest of this waste of time.

Just downloaded this, don't think I'll bother now.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 12:12 am

Still Alice - 7.5/10

What a truly sad film that was.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 12:27 am

WalterWhite wrote:Still Alice - 7.5/10

What a truly sad film that was.

Wife and I started watching this but could not finish it, her mother and Grandfather passed with Parkinsons and she lived through it, it broke her up and I just stopped the film. Wonderfully played from the 70%+ we saw by Julianne Moore and deserving of the Oscar.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 9:44 pm

Vice - 3/10

Bruce Willis stars in this Sci-Fi thriller about ultimate resort: VICE, where customers can play out their wildest fantasies with artificial inhabitants who look like humans.
PreviousNext

Return to Anything & Everything