It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:34 am

Techy (sort of) telly question

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

Capybara

Scott McDonald

Techy (sort of) telly question

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 9:10 am

I watched last night's (England) game my the local pub. It has five screens, one big one, a medium and three 'normal' sized ones. It's a German pub so, in the main, shows German telly and live German games during the season and most of the Euro games on German telly. That's one reason I go there (and the beer and it's local). But for England games it shows English TV so last night we had to suffer Tyldesley et al on the big and medium screens while two of the normal screens at the back of the pub had Wales on. However, the fifth (and normal-sized) TV, the one behind the bar, was on German telly and had the German broadcast of the England game. And it was about five seconds ahead of the ITV broadcast. Very few of us had cottoned on to this but it was quite amusing waiting for the moans and groans coming up when we already knew that England had missed another. Anyroad, any theories why this was (not the fact of the delay but the size of it)? I'm assuming the German telly comes in by satellite and I guess it's some sort of cable set-up for the English channels (the pub also has BT TV). And any ideas how far behind the live match the broadcasts actually are?

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

Re: Techy (sort of) telly question

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 9:16 am

When England and Russia fans had the trouble in the ground after the game, ITV were criticised for not showing the trouble - they responded by saying that they don't control the feed, but get it from UEFA and show what they give them.

So either Germany gets UEFA feed first, or they have their own feed? Maybe there is a delay incase some terrorist stuff goes off?

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 9:52 am

Hadn't thought of that. And that possibly explains why it sounds like the commentary is not quite in sync with the action (it seems ever so slightly ahead sometimes) which I'd put down to the broadcasters wanting the commentators to sound really good.

It looks like the German public broadcaster has the rights for this as well, with Sky not featuring like over here. The difference with our production is that it's much more basic, with one presenter and one pundit in the studio, but with scenes in the stadium being shown much longer after the game has finished (ITV were into their second ad-break) and more after-match interviews.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 9:53 am

Does all live telly have a 7 second delay so they can cut away if something happens, like a terrorist attack or someone dies? Or did I make that up?

I'd have assumed the feed from the Satellite is just quicker than the feed from the aerial, but I don't have anything to back that up with. Interesting though, how 'live' is 'live' tv?

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 10:06 am

I suppose the only way to test it is to put it (the TV) up against MW radio coverage. I know that is well ahead of freeview TV by a good margin but haven't measured it. And then you don't know how much (if any) delay they put in before broadcast.

Boro85 wrote:I'd have assumed the feed from the Satellite is just quicker than the feed from the aerial

The other way round, surely?

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 12:36 pm

i have a phone app that goes off whenever Boro score....it is REALLY quick....i've been at the game when we've scored and it goes off about 4 seconds after the ball goes in

watching Boro on Sky and that is about 20 seconds slower than the app

not sure how slow terrestrial TV is though

ooooomikeooooo

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: ooooomikeooooo

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 11:20 pm

It's always different depending on how you are watching it. There is usually a difference between HD & SD channels and there's a difference between Freeview and Sky/Virgin. It can be very annoying when they have 2 different channels on in the same venue.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Yeah. My techy workmates here are telling me that HD adds about 5 seconds, so that could be it. Or part of it at least. I only caught the end of last night's matches but it was exactly the same.

wilson

David Mills

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 12:58 am

I'd vote out! :))

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 9:24 am

tunstall wrote:i have a phone app that goes off whenever Boro score....it is REALLY quick....i've been at the game when we've scored and it goes off about 4 seconds after the ball goes in

Do they ever get it wrong? Like when they get the ball in the net and it is disallowed for example.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Jun 29, 2016 9:47 am

it comes up 10 seconds later saying it was disallowed

Return to Anything & Everything