It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Czech railway platform update

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

Capybara

Scott McDonald

Czech railway platform update

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 7:40 pm

I thought this was worth a new thread as it's quite important. I ventured into the Czech Republic last week alighting initially at Cheb where I had a pleasant hour or so. This gave me the opportunity to see how it works. There were three platforms and five faces. Platform 1 was adjacent to the main station building and so had only one face and there were two island platforms. My onward train was from platform 3. I walked through the subway and at the end there was a notice saying 3.nástupiště (platform 3). The staircase to the left was labelled as severní část (north bit) and to the right jižní část (south bit). My train was to depart from both (it was quite long). So up the stairs and there's the train, with the indicator clearly saying what it was, as well as all the carriages showing which train it was. So that's it really. Common sense. Oh, and station announcements are automated so the Chesker Draaahee woman was like an old friend.

Except that the next 'big' station down the line, Sokolov, had a single island platform with the faces labelled 1 & 2. So no consistency. One other thing. Most Czech stations don't have subways, or even platforms that you or I would recognise as such. You simply walk across the tracks to get where you need to be. Using your common sense, again. In fact at my destination, Karlovy Vary, one passenger wanted to be on the other side of the large-ish goods yard so simply walked across it. I like the Czech Republic.

Very helpful staff as well. My next journey had a 'bus substitute for part of the route, which I'd already twigged, and the guard explained this very well, in German, as she could tell I wasn't Czech. She even travelled on the 'bus with us and explained where to get off, etc.

Anyway, I hope that helps. And if by some chance you are wondering what this is referring to:

What the flippin' flip is he on about?

I have some nice pictures if anyone is interested :happy:

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

Re: Czech railway platform update

PostThu Sep 01, 2016 11:56 am

I was also in the Czech republic last week... But only experienced the joys of the tram and metro system in the capital.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 9:51 am

Nice one. Not made it to Prague yet but hope to one day. Rural Czech Republic is great though.

quizeye

Kris Boyd

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Obviously we are* interested in the pictures.

Still not sure about the description of Cheb. According to Google Earth "platform 2" (I assume) has tracks either side, as well as severní and jižní částs. Are they both in use, and if so are they distinguishable in advance?

*I am

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 5:44 pm

I have a picture of 2.nástupiště with a train on it so, yes, it's used. It's practically identical to 3.nástupiště so I assume it operates in the same way. Both faces are signed as 2.nástupiště. Unfortunately I omitted to take a picture of the list of departures but an interesting thing about Cheb is that you can catch trains to Praha leaving in either direction. It's interesting that while the Czech Republic seems to minimise the numbers of platforms, in this country things can go the opposite way. At York what I remember from my youth as Platforms 8(N) and 8(S) (a single face) are now Platforms 3 and 4. The face opposite is 5a and 5b, seemingly illogically (though there's probably a signalling reason for this). Unfortunately you can't load pictures directly to this site :(

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Oh, hang on. Someone took almost exactly the same picture before I did.

Except they have changed the platform signs and painted the walls. The sign at the top of the staircase looks the same though.

Return to Anything & Everything