It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 pm

So, the General Election then

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

Capybara

Scott McDonald

So, the General Election then

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 8:28 am

It makes the board look up to date at least. Happy New Year, indeed.

r3wind

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

• Twitter: richystewart

Re: So, the General Election then

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:01 am

Jooky out.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 am

Ta.

r3wind

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

• Twitter: richystewart

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:11 pm

:wanker: 8)

How did I not know this emote existed? I revoke everything I said about closing down B17.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:59 pm

Personally I'd be sad to see :dolf: go!

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 11:48 am

Well, that was a good debate. It's certainly made my mind up.

wilson

David Mills

PostSat Apr 22, 2017 6:24 pm

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 am

The political landscape in this country has never been worse.

Lies and media manipulation are rife and that is before we get to the politicians themselves.

Labour are in bits, the Blairites will not support the leader and the ground swell won't support anyone else, the Liberals have a man who seemed to be solid but hates gays so he is now dead meat, the UKIP are fragmenting by the day, and the Conservatives have a leader who would rather pose in Vogue than answer questions.

What a fucking time to be alive.

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Big difference this time is the two main parties are offering clearly different options.

I like the way the Labour party are attempting to frame this; their narrative of the people against the establishment, along with some really interesting policies may help us avoid the "inevitable" Tory landslide that we keep getting told is going to happen.

Its going to be hard and even an optimistic soul like me is pretty sure we've got at least another 5 years of them twats lording over us all and ruining the country for everyone but their rich chums.

If anyone is looking for some balance to the above post I found this great little website for all you RWNJ's -Reasons to Vote Tory ;)

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:44 pm

relfyoftheboro wrote:Big difference this time is the two main parties are offering clearly different options.

I like the way the Labour party are attempting to frame this; their narrative of the people against the establishment, along with some really interesting policies may help us avoid the "inevitable" Tory landslide that we keep getting told is going to happen.

Its going to be hard and even an optimistic soul like me is pretty sure we've got at least another 5 years of them twats lording over us all and ruining the country for everyone but their rich chums.

If anyone is looking for some balance to the above post I found this great little website for all you RWNJ's -Reasons to Vote Tory ;)

you live in a TS postcode?

dream on if you think a vote other than a vote for labour makes any difference....

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:57 pm

tunstall wrote:you live in a TS postcode?

dream on if you think a vote other than a vote for labour makes any difference....

I had no illusions that the local vote would return mainly Labour MP's, although in both Stockton South and Redcar & Cleveland there is no guarantee as both have produced non-Labour MP's in recent times.

tunstall - Does your reply suggest you feel its pointless voting?

Able87

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: Twitch - Able87

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Green party here.

I know it makes zero difference, but I'm not voting for either of the big 2, or the yellow tits.

Best of a bad bunch.

I'd rather have Agnew in charge of the country.

DanBailey27

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: @DanBailey27

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Voted Conservative last time out, and have regretted it ever since. Failed me as a young person and naively thought they would not and although I'm not fond of every core stance, Labour is very much where my vote it going. Although as tunstall says, in terms of the overall result and the numbers at the end of the night, anything other than a Labour vote is akin to spoiling your ballot.

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:14 pm

Able87 wrote:I know it makes zero difference, but I'm not voting for either of the big 2, or the yellow tits.

Able, can I ask why you're taking this stance? I'm genuinely interested, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it but would love to know how you've arrived at this decision.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:24 am

Will be voting for whatever blocks the Conservatives in my constituency, which is probably Labour.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:57 am

Tom wrote:Will be voting for whatever blocks the Conservatives in my constituency, which is probably Labour.

This.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm

relfyoftheboro wrote:
tunstall wrote:you live in a TS postcode?

I had no illusions that the local vote would return mainly Labour MP's, although in both Stockton South and Redcar & Cleveland there is no guarantee as both have produced non-Labour MP's in recent times.

tunstall - Does your reply suggest you feel its pointless voting?

always vote in a GE mate

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

• Twitter: yodathecoder

PostMon May 01, 2017 5:02 am

Tom wrote:Will be voting for whatever blocks the Conservatives in my constituency, which is probably Labour.

welllllll shit!

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

PostThu May 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Like most a vote for anything other than Labour where I live is a wasted vote.

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostThu May 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Barney Rubble wrote:Like most a vote for anything other than Labour where I live is a wasted vote.

So does that make you an advocate for proportional representation Barney? Makes your vote count regardless of where you live. Will make it harder for the bigger parties to command an absolute majority mind.

DanBailey27

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: @DanBailey27

PostFri May 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Tees Valley Metro mayoral election went to the Conservatives. Obviously, this encompasses alot more of the affluent areas around the area, however I think it signals vague intent in maybe a swing in the GE in some areas. It was a close run thing with the Labour candidate but I think some parts of Teesside, a big proportion of which voted to leave the EU (the ward I'm from, Thorntree, was the most pro-brexit place in the UK with 82.5% voting that way) have liked the staunch anti-EU brexit that has been put forward by Thatcher 2.0 and David 'Dickhead' Davis. All in all, a big big shock and something Labour will not have expected.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostMon May 08, 2017 9:59 am

relfyoftheboro wrote:
Barney Rubble wrote:Like most a vote for anything other than Labour where I live is a wasted vote.

So does that make you an advocate for proportional representation Barney? Makes your vote count regardless of where you live. Will make it harder for the bigger parties to command an absolute majority mind.

I'm a big fan of a change to our voting system; but can't see it at the moment as it doesn't benefit any of the big parties... or at least it doesn't benefit the conservatives who will be in power for the next 10 years.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostMon May 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Plus with the AV ref going the way it did, Westminster will have convinced themselves there's no desire for change. Although that's a bit like assuming someone doesn't like fruit because they didn't want to eat a rotten apple.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

PostWed May 10, 2017 12:15 pm

relfyoftheboro wrote:

Yes and No, in some cases (and countries) PR does work, however here the entrenched distrust between Labour and the Conservatives means we could probably be having yearly elections. The though of that lunatic north of the border holding the balance of power in Westminster scares me to death.

Am interested in what will happen in Middlesbrough as Andy Preston is taking on Andy McDonald. Preston was a breath of fresh air when he ran for mayor. Unfortunately I think he will end up taking votes off the Conservatives and Lib Dems and making the seat safer for McDonald.

Meadsy

Peter Davenport

PostWed May 10, 2017 4:39 pm

I've not got much hope for anything other than a Tory majority at the moment, but I do believe Labour will pick up some steam when the manifesto's come out and the under 25 vote will hopefully gain some attraction and make things interesting. Unfortunately Jezza has surrounded himself with some incompetent MP's who are killing any bit of momentum they build up, Dianne Abbot being a prime example. It's low hanging fruit for the opposition and an easy way to deflect away from the policy debate, which is one they can't win.

If the last couple of years has shown us anything though, it's that polls shouldn't be trusted, Labour are making progress and the Tory vote is the most vulnerable to a low turnout. This is providing that turnout is higher amongst under 25's and it absolutely should be this time around.

Capybara

Scott McDonald

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 7:08 am

Woo.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 7:24 am

Well then. Didn't see that coming.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion