It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am

The Return of the Usual TV Shows

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

The Return of the Usual TV Shows

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 2:23 am

Fringe is winding down and the temp is rising...a couple of shows to go in the New Year.
Has been a bumpy ride but I'll miss it when it finally ends.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

• Twitter: Jooky85

Re: The Return of the Usual TV Shows

PostSun Dec 23, 2012 11:48 am

I'm one or two episodes behind I think, will catch up this week. Its been decent, but I think it peaked a few seasons back. The storyarc on this one has been interesting to say the least, certainly the introduction and subsequent death of the daughter. Want to see how it ends up to be honest.

Walking Dead S3 has been superb as well, the best yet, they've really really ramped it up!

Beefy

Jeremie Aliadiere

• Twitter: awaywiththeboro

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Possibly the worst thing about the server crash,loosing the original tv shows thread.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Homeland Season 2 finale - thoughts?

Pretty slow first half, very good second half. Season on a whole wasn't as good as the first I thought, but its still very good in comparison to some of the other efforts out there. Intrigued as to where they take the third season, and indeed whether it will still have a significant terrorist threat or not, given its essentially a man on the run from the government and someone on the "inside". Intriguing never the less.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Yeah the TV thread will definitely be the biggest loss :(

Anyway - new one started now

DEXTER - S7 finished, excellent!

Walking Dead - Mid season break, quality so far

Boardwalk Empire - smashed all of S3 in 3 days - Mr Harrow's rampage was brilliant and Gyp was a class character

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 6:47 pm

LTS_3 wrote:DEXTER - S7 finished, excellent!

Waiting for that to hit the UK in the spring, presume it was as good as the end of S6 suggested it would be?

wilson

David Mills

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 6:50 pm

watching the last 2 homelands soon but the walking dead this season has been excellent, such a different series from series 2..

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Jooky - excellent whole season yeah. And if you ever saw Chuck - she's in it. Banging.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostMon Dec 24, 2012 7:40 pm

LTS_3 wrote:Jooky - excellent whole season yeah. And if you ever saw Chuck - she's in it. Banging.

Get in there! :)) Chuck-girl, without the shit storylines! :blush:

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

• Twitter: @fannybatter78

PostTue Dec 25, 2012 12:49 am

Anyone watching Grimm?

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostTue Dec 25, 2012 1:22 pm

WalterWhite wrote:Anyone watching Grimm?

Yes, though I am 4 behind I think - stopped watching at start of December as I was busy with other things but mean to catch up over this break! It is a curious mix of faux and sometimes camp horror, jokey buddy link ups and love story with some decent ideas.

Sort of works on a couple of levels for me but it is tending to be a bit samey at times.

Esky

Mikkel Beck

PostThu Dec 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Thought similar to 85 about Homeland season 2. The second half of the season was incredibly fast paced, so much happening all the time. Was shocked with how the finale went down but it makes for a very interesting season 3. This season also contained possibly the best episode of a tv show i have watched (Q and A)

Meadsy

Peter Davenport

PostSun Dec 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Caught up with The Walking Dead and it's absolutely fantastic, thoroughly enjoying season 3.I was a bit skeptical about the story involving Lorri, just seemed kind of stupid to me considering the child's chance of survival. It looks like they are making it work though.

The best thing about the show it is that the possibilities are endless, there as so many different directions that they can go in. It's not a show that is limited to a particular story line. I just hope they don't end it with them all walking off into the sunset still trying to find what they are looking for.

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 pm

After hearing many good things about it, me and the girlfriend have just started watching The Walking Dead. This'll be the first show we've got into since watching all of Breaking Bad and I think its going to be hard to come close to that.

Breaking Bad will be the show that all TV series' will be compared to from now and until eternity. The BEST thing I've ever seen as a complete piece of work. Heroes series 1 will always be my favourite series of any show but it turned to shit after the writers strike ruined series 2.

Paul1986

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: thepaulsinclair

PostFri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Just watched the final episode of Homeland - :eek:

So who is the inside man - Saul? or did Brodie do it?

They have left it right open for S3

Walking Dead has been brilliant this series - just full on Zombie gore from episode 1 - can't wait for February now

When is Game of Thrones back??

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

• Twitter: yodathecoder

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 6:57 am

Paul1986 wrote:When is Game of Thrones back??

March 31st in the US, so April 1st for download.

It's all going to kick off!

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostSat Jan 05, 2013 7:07 am

^^ I thought it was all going to kick off from the end of S1 with dragons and sh1t but hardly anything happened in S2 and I was pretty bored with it (no I havent read books so dont care how closely/not it follows them)

Spartacus War Of The Damned starts Jan 25th / dl 26th

Biggjambo

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Errrr, no mention on this thread yet but Justified S4 started last night in the States. It's available now in all the usual places.
As for shows that I've watched recently, Walking Dead S3 and Boardwalk Empire S3 have been the best shows in the last 12 months by a country mile (for me at least). Looking forward to Game Of Thrones S3 and The Following, which starts on Sky Atlantic in a week or 2.

Anyone taking a look at Utopia that starts on Ch4 on Tuesday? Looks fairly intriguing from the trailers I've seen and has a pretty interesting cast.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostThu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Biggjambo wrote:Errrr, no mention on this thread yet but Justified S4 started last night in the States. It's available now in all the usual places.
As for shows that I've watched recently, Walking Dead S3 and Boardwalk Empire S3 have been the best shows in the last 12 months by a country mile (for me at least). Looking forward to Game Of Thrones S3 and The Following, which starts on Sky Atlantic in a week or 2.

Anyone taking a look at Utopia that starts on Ch4 on Tuesday? Looks fairly intriguing from the trailers I've seen and has a pretty interesting cast.

Just about to post on Justified, grabbed but saving for weekend.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Justified started well for the new series, looks like it will pick up pace quite quickly.

Fringe conclusion This coming week with two full shows to see it out on the same night.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 11:47 am

FAO Justified/The Shield fans - Walton Goggins is in Django Unchained quite a bit

Still only seen the first series of Justified, am about halfway through S3 of Shield

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 am

LTS_3 wrote:am about halfway through S3 of Shield

Let me know if/when you need (NEED not want :) ) the rest.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Cheers mate, will get there eventually but been smashing films lately

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 am

Showtime president David Nevins was on hand at today's TCA (television critics association) tour to provide some updates on the cable network's upcoming slate. Perhaps most significantly, they have designed the premiere dates for their two most popular shows, Dexter and Homeland, to "harness their strength" in order to usher in the next generation of programing for Showtime.

For the first time ever, Dexter will be moved up to a summer premiere, and will act as a springboard for the series premiere of Showtime's new Hollywood-set crime drama starring Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan. Dexter will premiere on Sunday June 30, at 9 pm followed by Ray Donovan at 10 pm.

"Dexter is to showtime is what Batman is to Warner Brothers," Nevins said. "I want to take care of it in a way that is respectful to the franchise, and takes care of the fans."

When asked if this will indeed be the final season for the popular series, Nevins would not confirm, saying, “We’re not making any announcements today about when Dexter will end. I think I will clarify before Dexter goes on this season. We have a clear end game in place, I can’t talk about it just yet.”

Nevins added, "Dexter's end is a creative decision, and ultimately will be made for creative reasons." Nevins did promise that he would be announcing details on the series' close in the near future.

As far as the renewed energy of this season, Nevins agreed that adding a trajectory toward a conclusion did infuse the series with a creative burst. "I do think the ending and the bringing of Deb into Dexter's private torment and turmoil and story is what revitalized the show."

Nevins has continued to dodge confirming that Season 8 will be the final one for the series since last summer, when Dexter executive producer Sara Colleton said that the series "absolutely would be" ending this year. It's hard not to wonder if Dexter's ever-rising viewership has the network trying to find a way to keep the series alive for just a bit longer, past the point the producers had intended. We saw a network make a similar decision this year when CBS decided to renew How I Met Your Mother, even as it seemed to be approaching the end. Nevins, however, did stress that the quality of the programing is essential to their plan.

Showtime's other hit show, Homeland, will return this fall on Sunday, September 29 at 9 pm followed by the premiere of the new drama series Masters of Sex -- starring Lizzy Caplan and Michael Sheen -- at 10 pm.

MarlonD

Peter Davenport

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Anybody catch 'Jack Irish' on FX recently.

An Aussie mini-series with Guy Pearce playing the lead role. Pretty easy viewing and worth a watch imo.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 pm

No, but he is an excellent actor - will dl them

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostWed Jan 16, 2013 1:26 pm

MarlonD wrote:Anybody catch 'Jack Irish' on FX recently.

An Aussie mini-series with Guy Pearce playing the lead role. Pretty easy viewing and worth a watch imo.

Yeah, watched one & thought it was ok - as you said, not challenging but a decent watch.

Biggjambo

Joseph-Desire Job

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 9:27 am

Fringe-ers, looks like Sky 1 are simul-casting with the States the final 2 episodes which air this Friday. Sky's broadcast starts at 01:10 Saturday Morning.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 am

Said before - gave up on Fringe toward the end of S3 were it just went nuts, with her doing the Spock impressions and then it turning into a cartoon - gonna ask wife one more time if she wants to see the rest, if she says no I am going to smash through the final two series. I know it will prob just get more and more weird/ridiculous but I like Walter and Olivia (when she's not doing that horrendous impression)

Anyone see Series 1 of GIRLS? Well S2 just started, watched the first episode yesterday. Even after the full series I still don't know if I like it, wife says it is the strangest show we watch, which I would tend to agree with. The lads in it are class, the gay and Adam her boyfriend he is funny as f... Lena Dunham should definitely keep those in though, not what I want to see! Alison Williams (Marnie) however . . .

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 1:00 pm

LTS_3 wrote:Said before - gave up on Fringe toward the end of S3 were it just went nuts, with her doing the Spock impressions and then it turning into a cartoon - gonna ask wife one more time if she wants to see the rest, if she says no I am going to smash through the final two series. I know it will prob just get more and more weird/ridiculous but I like Walter and Olivia (when she's not doing that horrendous impression)

You've really not missed much. I'm watching it just for closure now.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Boro85 wrote:You've really not missed much. I'm watching it just for closure now.

Not sure about just closure but I know what you mean, once it lost the quirkiness of a different problem or event per episode and became wholly concentrated around the threaded story about the Observers it became harder going...the characters are the only thing that has saved it for disappearing up its own arse.

I'll need something new after it, I only have Justified, Game of Thrones, H5O and Walking Dead on my watch list at the moment.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 1:16 pm

TJ - Seen all these? Recommend all of them

Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Six Feet Under, MadMen, True Blood, 24, Boardwalk Empire, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Californication, All the Spartacus's, Modern Family, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Office (US), Weeds, Jericho, The Killing (US), American Horror Story, Nurse Jackie

?

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Six Feet Under, MadMen, True Blood, 24, Boardwalk Empire, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Californication, All the Spartacus's, Modern Family, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Office (US), Weeds, Jericho, The Killing (US), American Horror Story, Nurse Jackie

Tried & didn't like: True Blood, Spartacus, The Office, Nurse Jackie

Of the others seen apart from: Breaking Bad, The Killing (US)

Will give them a shot...cheers

Biggjambo

Joseph-Desire Job

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 1:30 pm

They probably could have wrapped Fringe in after series 4, quite like where this last series has gone though. Hoping for a nice "wrapped up with a bow" ending now that ties everything in together.

Esky

Mikkel Beck

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm

LTS_3 wrote:
Anyone see Series 1 of GIRLS? Well S2 just started, watched the first episode yesterday. Even after the full series I still don't know if I like it, wife says it is the strangest show we watch, which I would tend to agree with. The lads in it are class, the gay and Adam her boyfriend he is funny as f... Lena Dunham should definitely keep those in though, not what I want to see! Alison Williams (Marnie) however . . .

I watch this an feel the same. Its quite funny, i think i watch it because it feels quite real,if that makes sense. Marnie helps massively too. The scene where she rubs herself in season 1 :eek:

Esky

Mikkel Beck

PostThu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Anybod watching Arrow? Really enjoying this, sort of a superhero show but there is enough depth there invest in the story

CorruptBiggins

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: DanStokoe

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 12:35 am

Esky wrote:Anybod watching Arrow? Really enjoying this, sort of a superhero show but there is enough depth there invest in the story

Me too. Watched it on Sky 1, they weren't far behind the US airings and hopefully that'll remain true once it comes back on.

Got into Person of Interest at last tonight, was just going to watch the pilot but ended up watching 6 episodes and I've only got the 10 that have aired on Channel 5 so far.

Esky

Mikkel Beck

PostFri Jan 18, 2013 1:02 pm

just watched the pilot of Legit, a new comedy on FX. Very funny and very enjoyable, if you like Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia you will enjoy this

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 9:12 pm

Fringe done!! Happy with the way they did it. Kept you guessing till the end.

A satisfying end to a less than satisfying final series, but a brilliant TV show none the less.

CorruptBiggins

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: DanStokoe

PostSat Jan 19, 2013 10:26 pm

The ending was perfectly appropriate. For all it's faults in the end it is a series I've enjoyed watching. I imagine I will watch the entire series again in the near future, think it'll be interesting watching all 5 years of it in a much more compressed amount of time.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Fringe finished pretty well - at least they allowed it to come to a conclusion & not just drop it and the fans when they felt like it.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Agreed. Quite enjoyed the ending to be honest.

MarlonD

Peter Davenport

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Just watched the 1st episode of C4's new series, Utopia.

WTF :eek:

Enjoyed it though and some great acting including Neil Maskell who I thought was creepingly excellent.

Biggjambo

Joseph-Desire Job

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Great ending to what has been a (mostly) great show. Thoroughly enjoyed the last few episodes of Fringe and I'm now a little sad that we won't see any more adventures with Walter, Olivia, Peter and co. Really glad it went out like it did, well done Fox for giving it a 13 episode final series when the US ratings it was getting would have normally meant cancellation.

Boro85

Wilf Mannion

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Set The Following to record on Sky Atlantic on Tuesday night, looks decent.

Also enjoyed Utopia, some great scenes in it and much potential. Specially enjoyed the torture scene :eek:

Stepper_T

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: Stepper_T

PostSun Jan 20, 2013 7:33 pm

I miss not having Sky Atlantic

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Jan 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and HBO are set to re-team on a third WWII mini-series, this time revolving around the Air Force.

The power-house producers previously had success with Band of Brothers in 2001 and The Pacific in 2010.

The source material this time around will be Donald L. Miller’s non-fiction book Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the War Against Nazi Germany.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the series "will explore the aerial wars through the eyes of the enlisted men of the Eighth Airforce, known as the men of the Mighty Eighth.”

Spielberg and Hanks will produce alongside Gary Goetzman, although there’s no word on a start date as the show is in the very early stages of development.

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 9:10 am

Boro85 wrote:Also enjoyed Utopia, some great scenes in it and much potential. Specially enjoyed the torture scene :eek:

Got 10 minutes in before I binned it. Strong opening, then it made me follow a thread on an internet message forum, and if I wanted to do that...

"The Following" had better be good to make up for this 85...

Paul1986

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: thepaulsinclair

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Boro85 wrote:Set The Following to record on Sky Atlantic on Tuesday night, looks decent.

Also enjoyed Utopia, some great scenes in it and much potential. Specially enjoyed the torture scene :eek:

Utopia is fucking mental

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 9:28 am

Gonna stay away from The Following either until it has finished or has a mid-season break, struggling to enjoy series on a week-by-week basis - the only ones that don't suffer for it are Dexter and Breaking Bad

Anyone who is looking for a comedy to watch, download Two And A Half Men since Ashton Kutcher came into it - honestly is class, not only him but the other main character Alan/John Crier is excellent. Its got 2 more episodes of this series left - you'd be searching for Season 9 and Season 10
Next

Return to Anything & Everything