It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:56 am

The Return of the Usual TV Shows

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

Re: The Return of the Usual TV Shows

PostMon Jun 13, 2016 9:53 pm

I#'m really into Preacher - very good up to now!

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

• Twitter: @fannybatter78

Re: The Return of the Usual TV Shoow

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Grimm

I've just finished season 5, and tbh, it's not been the best, but had a strong ending.

If you've got naff all to watch and wanting something easy to watch, then I'd recommend this.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 8:16 am

Watched PEAKY BLINDERS S2 last week, enjoyed it, going to get the 3rd watched soon

All other shows have been put on halt for the time being whilst the Euros are on and the wife has me watching Big Brother and Love Island each night

Stepper_T

Fabrizio Ravanelli

• Twitter: Stepper_T

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Just started watching walking dead, somewhat late to the party! Anyway absolutely hooked, already up to season 4.

wilson

David Mills

Re: The Return of the Usual TV Shoow

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 12:48 am

WalterWhite wrote:Grimm

I've just finished season 5, and tbh, it's not been the best, but had a strong ending.

If you've got naff all to watch and wanting something easy to watch, then I'd recommend this.

Yeah, very good season. Agreed, very easy to watch :)

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 8:58 am

Finished S3 of PEAKY BLINDERS, well worth a watch

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Jul 17, 2016 11:20 pm

Stranger Things on Netflix.

Totally engrossed

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 6:42 am

terminaljunkie wrote:Stranger Things on Netflix.

Totally engrossed

Snap.

I've just finished episode 4 and it really is, as you say; engrossing.

What episode are you up , tj?

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Just started E6 - will probably watch a couple tonight

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 10:45 pm

Just finished it and if I had to describe it, I'd say it was a cross between Poltergeist and Stephen King's IT.

Any how, great show and thoroughly recommend it.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 10:43 pm

I finished it last night.

What is crazy about it is that in my mind I thought about it as one of those Goonies / ET type classics from back in the 80's but by the time it was over I felt it had become one in itself. For all of the flaws in the show it's strength was in the steady investment in building characters, and those kids were amazing (the toothless one was infectious)

I don't thin k I've heard a bad word said about it and I really hope they take that foundation and build on it with future shows.

10/10 Pure joy.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Jul 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Watched STRANGER THINGS, thought it was good but no more. They did a really good job of making it feel 80s, reminded me of Flight of The Navigator and stuff like that. The main lad Mike did my head in, but then I think most films in the 80s had annoying kids in them

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostMon Aug 01, 2016 9:46 am

Me and the wife watched 2 eps a night over 4 days and absolutely loved it.

Everything, including even the title sequence, was brilliantly done. Captured the feel of the 80's and particularly the 80's kids films like the Goonies, Stand by Me, E.T. & The Breakfast Club. Music was on point too.

Thought the storyline was very well put together and the threads joined at the right points. It was a little short for my liking (that has to be a compliment though) but it did mean there was no filler episodes or competing story arcs so the pacing was steady and consistent.

The child actors, in particular the one that played 11, were superb.

I have literally nothing but good things to say about this show. Probably the best 1st Series of TV since Breaking Bad, IMHO. Get out and watch it.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostSun Aug 07, 2016 4:02 am

The Leftovers is postponed until next year. I'm pretty disappointed tbh, was looking forward to this.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 8:41 am

As long as it gets made I am happy - I think Liv Tyler has just had a baby, that might have something to do with it

Anyone who hasn't seen the first two seasons should watch it, best new show of the last five years

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostMon Aug 08, 2016 10:07 am

LTS_3 wrote:As long as it gets made I am happy - I think Liv Tyler has just had a baby, that might have something to do with it

Anyone who hasn't seen the first two seasons should watch it, best new show of the last five years

From what I've read online, it's more to do with GoT being delayed, with The Leftovers filling the void.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostWed Aug 10, 2016 10:34 am

Anyone been watching Outcast, if so any good?

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Aug 10, 2016 11:51 am

Just finished watching Series 1 of Preacher.

Odd show, lots of WTF moments but dispersed throughout the series. First two episodes were bonkers but it settled down a bit after that. Final episode was the most mental of the lot and has set up a second series which makes the first one look like the most extended pilot to a TV show ever. Series two should be very different but I'm hoping it'll mean its better.

Not a bad show, seen a lot worse. Would recommend.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Aug 10, 2016 12:32 pm

I know a few lads who watched Outcast, said first few episodes were good and then struggled to stick with it. I saw the first 10mins of it and it looked good, will watch it at some point.

Not really watching any series atm except the Olympics (and CBB with the wife)

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 12:00 am

relfyoftheboro wrote:Just finished watching Series 1 of Preacher.

Odd show, lots of WTF moments but dispersed throughout the series. First two episodes were bonkers but it settled down a bit after that. Final episode was the most mental of the lot and has set up a second series which makes the first one look like the most extended pilot to a TV show ever. Series two should be very different but I'm hoping it'll mean its better.

Not a bad show, seen a lot worse. Would recommend.

If you read the Preacher comics it is a pretty mental setup, the violence and sex are pretty much toned right down or they would offend just about everyone. The introduction of Tulip in the TV series seems (to me) to contradict the comics where Cassidy and Tulip are already known to each other, and the 'Saint of Killers' who we have seen in flashback is yet to make a real impact.

Series 2 should be a wild ride - looking forward to it as long as Rogan and co stick to the basic principles of the characters and story (even if they have to tone to down for TV)

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Aug 24, 2016 8:10 am

Finished season 2 of BLOODLINE last night, set it up nicely for the next season (whenver that is due) - it's a hard show to describe, it's very slow but you end up getting sucked in, I personally love it and would recommend to anyone - both seasons on Netflix

Also finished season 5 of VEEP, very fast and funny as usual, the character Gary is one of the best characters I've seen in a comedy he is absolutely class (same bloke who play Buster in Arrested Development)

Got a long list of stuff to watch, can't really decide what to start on next :?

wilson

David Mills

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 8:50 am

Grimm season 6 airs in January and will be the last.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Aug 30, 2016 9:42 am

IGN 'Fall' preview w/ dates of all returning shows too
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/08/26/fall-2016-tv-preview?page=1

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Sep 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Watched The Get Down on Netflix, six episodes. I'm into hip hop and DJing/mixing/scratching etc so was interested to see what it would be like, supposedly how Hip Hop came to be.

The first episode was an absolute slog to get through, it's 90mins long and directed by Baz Luhrman, and mostly about Disco and setting up the characters, I almost gave up. Gets better (if you're into hip hop etc) but there are quite a lot of bits that I was wishing would hurry up and end

The main girl is an excellent singer and I would be surprised if she doesn't become massive from this.

I read some reviews and it got absolutely panned, so I guess you will either like its content or not

wilson

David Mills

PostThu Sep 01, 2016 5:52 pm

Narcos season 2 returns tonight

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 8:27 am

Watched all 8 episodes of THE NIGHT OF in three consecutive nights, very good and well worth a watch

Narcos has been renewed for Season 3 and 4

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 1:08 pm

LTS_3 wrote:Watched all 8 episodes of THE NIGHT OF in three consecutive nights, very good and well worth a watch

Narcos has been renewed for Season 3 and 4

Going to download "The Night Of" later as, from what I've read, it seems to be an interesting premise.

Watched Series 1 of Narcos and found it a bit ponderous. Don't have any real desire to watch Series 2 and we'll only watch if we run out of other stuff to watch.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 8:25 am

Blasted through both series of TWENTY TWELVE on Netflix in the last week or so, didn't fancy it when it was on tv. Not hilarious or anything but funny and good characters, the Yorkshire bloke is class just putting up with/seeing through all the management speak and jargon b0llocks :lol:

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 2:50 pm

We finished off "The Night Of" over the weekend and on the whole it was enjoyable.

Found the first ep extremely annoying as I couldn't believe that a) someone would react in the way Naz did and b) that he was arrested despite not having a drop of blood on him. The murdered girl was covered so it seemed like an obvious miss to me.

Anyway, once I'd got over this and allowed the show to develop I quite enjoyed it. The actors playing the Detective (Box) and the Lawyer(Stone) were brilliant and really carried the show.

I'm not normally a fan of crime drama's but this one was OK. Fairly predictable and set up nicely for a second series.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 3:00 pm

Watched the US version of THE RETURNED (having already seen the French 1st series, but wife hasn't), enjoyed it, it's pretty much a straight remake of the French one. The place where it is set/filmed is absolutely stunning. Shame they aren't making a 2nd series in US.

Started on AMERICAN GOTHIC - switched it off after 35minutes. Looked tripe and nowhere near as good as the original American Gothic from the 90s

YodaTheCoder

Scott McDonald

• Twitter: yodathecoder

PostTue Sep 20, 2016 4:49 pm

THE DECENT* TELLY IS BACK ON!

*if it's shit, blame the missus or the kid

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 7:49 am

i'm loving "Stranger Things" right now - think we've watched 4 and have 4 to go

how much "acting" is Winona Ryder doing? i think she's just playing herself in her role on the show - a fucked up head the ball

Paul1986

Mikkel Beck

• Twitter: thepaulsinclair

PostSun Sep 25, 2016 8:56 pm

tunstall wrote:i'm loving "Stranger Things" right now - think we've watched 4 and have 4 to go

how much "acting" is Winona Ryder doing? i think she's just playing herself in her role on the show - a fucked up head the ball

I said exactly that to a friend - Winona plays Winona

Other than that though I enjoyed it

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Just seen an advert on Channel 4 for the 2nd series of Humans. Didn't give an actual date though.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostMon Oct 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Plenty going on ATM...

Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Westworld
Ash vs Evil Dead Season 2
Van Helsing
Narcos (Catching up)
Red Dwarf - not the champion of old but has its moments)
Elementary
Designated Survivor (giving this a shot for the lead alone)

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 6:35 am

i've heard a couple of people mention Luke Cage now.....might have to look into this

Westworld LOOKS good - just worried that its not going to be as good as it looks

Red Dwarf - correct, for me it peaked in Series 6 and has been on a slippery slope every since, but what i've seen so far this Series has been the best for a long time

we also enjoy Agents of Shield which has just started Season 4

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Lethal Weapon as well as the above but having had a look at the first couple seems a bit buddy-buddy, lacks the maniac trigger lunacy that Mel Gibson brought to the role and they are really milking the sob story of Riggs past.

Give it another couple to see if it comes good.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 6:10 am

Yeah, Luke Cage is alright. It's dialogue is a bit stilted (feels like I'm reading different panels of a comic book with the slight delay/cuts/framing, rather than watching an actual conversation) and the villain isn't nearly as interesting as Fisk/Punisher/Killgrave were, but it's steadily improving as more stuff kicks off.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 7:59 am

Ive seen the first two, and for a 'superhero' show or whatever marvel make, there's prob been about 2minutes of powers etc shown in two hours ....

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Oct 12, 2016 12:10 pm

Westworld anyone?

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 10:15 am

tunstall wrote:Westworld anyone?

I'm gonna wait till its finished and watch it in a couple of sittings.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 1:46 pm

After getting bored of Elementary in the third season, I decided to knock it on the head. Did the 4th season improve at all?

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Oct 23, 2016 8:05 pm

Elementary seems to be just limping along...5th season and nothing much really happens with the show.

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 10:25 am

Anyone else watching Series 3 of Black Mirror?

4 episodes done so far and each one has been brilliant. Fantastic TV.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:22 pm

I am, I've just finished episode 4 too. Awesome stuff, so glad Netflix picked it up.

I've also finished Luke Cage. Meh. Has some good points (diversity in the MCU, Colter/Cage) but the villains are rubbish, the acting/delivery is stilted and awkward and the action is pretty tedious.

relfyoftheboro

Joseph-Desire Job

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 9:11 am

Just finished the last two eps of Black Mirror. Wow.

Charlie Brooker is a genius. This series' episodes were so much stronger. Not a bad one amongst them. You can see the additional production values that Netflix have brought to the table. The writing was just so strong. Really well thought out idea's taken to the extreme but entirely believable. A stark commentary on our society and where it has the potential to go.

The twist in the final episode is just mental. :eek:

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 11:37 pm

If you like really quirky stuff (and Douglas Adams) then give the new Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency 2016 show a watch. Elijah Wood and Samuel Barnett cook up a very strange, beguiling and funny take on Adams Holistic detective.

I really enjoyed the opener.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 9:15 am

Watched the first of the new BLACK MIRRORS - thought it was an interesting and pretty scary (and maybe not too far off) idea, but personally thought it died a bit in the final third

Watched the first episode of THE CROWN on Netflix with the wife, quite enjoyed it and already know more about the current Royal Family than I ever did, just shows how pathetic our History teaching was in school

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 11:20 am

Wife & daughter both history buffs and they think The Crown is just about the best they have seen in terms of the source material being factual. They also love Matt Smith in this - seems he has it nailed.

Not for me, find the whole thing dry and boring.

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

PostFri Nov 11, 2016 6:18 pm

terminaljunkie wrote:Wife & daughter both history buffs and they think The Crown is just about the best they have seen in terms of the source material being factual. They also love Matt Smith in this - seems he has it nailed.

Not for me, find the whole thing dry and boring.

Same here. We just finished the 4th episode last night, and I can quite honestly say, I can't wait for it to finish.
PreviousNext

Return to Anything & Everything