It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:52 pm

The Return of the Usual TV Shows

Off Topic chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
  • Author

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

Re: The Return of the Usual TV Shows

PostMon May 29, 2017 8:09 am

I watched Mulholland Drive for the first time recently, had no idea what was going on but enjoyed it. Blue Velvet was the same. Started watching Lost Highway last night and that's mad too. I absolutely love his use of music and getting the actors singing, In Dreams in Blue Velvet is unreal, as is the woman singing Crying in Spanish in MD

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Watched Season 3 of RAY DONOVAN in the last week, enjoyed it. His wife is just intolerable though, cannot stand her accent or the part that she is playing. The daughter isn't far behind either. But Ray, Mickey, Terry are all class, as was Lovejoy and Katie Holmes

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

• Twitter: #terminaljunkie

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Twin Peaks

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 8:10 am

Ive given up on Twin Peaks. Watched the first five episodes of S2 and just couldn't get away with it.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 10:34 am

Watched all ten episodes of WestWorld over a week or less, didn't fancy it at first and had to force myself to watch it but it was excellent. Visually stunning, good story, the setting is class (for anyone off the gaming section, it's like Red Dead Redemption)

Loved little things like the piano in a saloon playing modern songs like Back To Black etc

Anthony Hopkins is class in it, as are Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton who has had a beaut of a year with this and Line Of Duty

Well worth a watch

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 pm

American Gods

Ended with the sort of impact you wanted from a few episodes in. All of the character building and surreal, obfuscated and sinuous plot did little to disguise the fact that the meat on the bones (so to speak) is in the ride and not the ending itself.

Sometimes a little OTT, definitely baffling in places and tinged with dark humour throughout, it would be hard not to be impressed with the sumptuous visual style and the underpinning narrative. It's going to be a wilder jaunt next time out when season 2 makes an already commissioned appearance. I suspect it will be very worthy of your time.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Preacher Season 2

Starts tomorrow!

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Watched S3 of BETTER CALL SAUL and tbh it bored me. I don't like his brother, there was too much courtoom sh1te in it, and Saul too is boring compared to in Breaking Bad.

The bits with Fring, Hector and Mike in were good, but it feels like they are stringing it out massively until it gets up to the BB timeline - the ridiculously slow pace it is going it, they will probably make about 7 or 8 seasons of BCS

WalterWhite

Ian Baird

• Twitter: @fannybatter78

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Anyone been watching Genius?

I’m 4 episodes in and I haven’t a chuffing clue what he’s talking about half the time, but I find it enthralling and cant wait for the next episode to begin.

He’s a bit of a randy bugger as well.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 am

Watched S3 of THE LEFTOVERS, enjoyed it on the whole - there's a couple of nuts episodes, my wife gave up after the first two and having seen the rest of them I can say that she definitely wouldn't have stuck with it :D Love the actors in it, Justin Theroux is absolutely excellent, as are Carrie Coon and Christopher Ecclestone. The episode with his dad going across Australia was good. The end of the world episode was just mad.

Overall though, taking all three seasons together, The Leftovers is probably in my top 5 shows, absolutely love it. And the score is excellent too, I think I will be listening to songs from that for as long as I live (hoping to learn how to play some of them on keyboard at some point)

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Jul 19, 2017 8:17 am

Watched RIVERDALE on Netflix with the wife. Probably find it hard to recommend it to people on here given the age of most - it's another high-school setting, with 22-28 year old actors playing 16 year olds - do all these shows use the same high school set, or is every high school in America literally the same?

Some good actors from the 90s in it, although now they are the 40-50 year old parents of the main characters - Luke Perry, Skeet Ulrich, woman from Twin Peaks, bloke from Scary Movie

Nice setting, a couple of attractive girls, reasonable story. It's feels like 13 Reasons Why, Pretty Little Liars etc, so if you're too old for them, you're too old for this

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 8:44 am

Does anyone watch/has anyone seen POWER?
My wife's friend keeps telling her its amazing, its got its 4th season coming out soon and I keep seeing it pop up when people ask for recommendations of a show to watch - we have tried to watch the very first episode twice now and I think it's appalling, just can't see how I am going to get into it

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 12:37 am

If you like Grimm / Lucifer type shows, try Midnight, Texas
Good start!

Tom

Ian Baird

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 12:26 pm

That last scene in the latest Thrones was good, wasn't it? No tits though, feel they're only ever nailing one of tits or dragons per episode.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Aug 08, 2017 1:14 pm

Watched all of THE HANDMAID'S TALE, thought it was very good.

Different to pretty much everything that's on at the minute/lately. Elisabeth Moss (MadMen, Top Of The Lake) is excellent again, Joseph Fiennes (FlashForward) and Yvonne Strahovski (Dexter, Chuck) are both good too, as is the big fat nasty b1tch (who plays virtually the same role as she does in The Leftovers).

Definitely worth a watch. Wouldn't have minded if it ended as it did, but S2 has been ordered apparently.

Onto the next one - got quite a few stacking up now American Gods, Bloodline S3, Dark, Gypsy, Last Chance U S2, Line of Duty S3, Luther, Ozark, Riviera, The Sinner, Top Of The Lake S2, Veep S6

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 am

Watched S2 of LAST CHANCE U, just an excellent show about American Football, people and life. If you have any interest in NFL etc you should watch this.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 8:51 pm

The Defenders

Marvel's The Defenders tries to emulate a small screen grouping of heroes in a formula that worked so well for The Avengers on the big screen. In part it works, but it is an uneven ride whose successes are based on the more popular individual characters such as Daredevil and Jessica Jones - even Luke Cage comes over fairly well - but the Danny Rand/Iron Fist character is weak in his own show and the weakest link in The Defenders too.

That said the show has enough punch to see it through that one character flaw, and it does for the most part deliver on dialogue, action scenes and interplay. It does at times seem to resemble a movie rather than a series, and with only 8 episodes you can watch the whole thing in a single sitting (or three like me) and enjoy some well scripted shows.

8/10 - Enjoyed the first season immensely, but some may find it lacking - especially with character backstory definition and their adversaries - unless they first watch the individual shows that define the characters (or know the characters from the comics) before embarking on The Defenders.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Strike: The Cuckoo’s Calling

This is pretty damn good - great upbeat dialogue, good cast, well written characters/story and fantastic chemistry between the leads - am hooked.

*EDIT* Loved that first three part outing - can't wait for the next one (only two parts I believe).
Last edited by terminaljunkie on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terminaljunkie

Bernie Slaven

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Twin Peaks

The single most frustrating, perplexing, zany, bonkers, but beguiling thing I think I have ever seen.

There are probably not too many that have stuck it out, Lynch basically geared everything to his own tempo and used a staggered beat to let things out slowly then throw in an eye-opener every 2-3 shows which bled a little more detail for the viewer to make sense of it all. The last two had the unenviable task of trying to stitch the threads of the previous 16 shows into something that was watchable and would answer all of the questions. But...in typical Lynch style its still left it hanging, and barring a film or another series that will be the end of Twin Peaks.

I say bravo David Lynch and Mark Frost for bringing such an abstract concept to the small screen. It was a wild, wild ride and I don't think anyone will come close to doing anything like it again.
Previous

Return to Anything & Everything