The (in)famous gaming forum and birthplace of FIFABowl
  • Author

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

Horizon Zero Dawn - Review

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Put back til 2017, new trailer

Last edited by LTS_3 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Ian Baird

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn

PostMon Jun 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Yup, I want to play that. The gameplay demo at last years E3 (I think it was E3) was class.

sinky72

Fabrizio Ravanelli

PostSat Jan 14, 2017 11:39 pm

It looks like it's coming on well. Released end of February.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostSun Jan 15, 2017 9:55 am

Not a fan of the most recent trailer to be honest, all I want to see is gameplay and it's a bit light on that. Someone in the VGTV/Chuffsters Facebook group was part of the early preview group and he wasn't convinced either.

Still hopeful though, some of it looks very good.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 am

I hope this doesnt turn out to be sh1t.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 9:40 am

IGN Review - 9.3, 40 hour campaign

Tom

Ian Baird

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn - Review

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 10:47 am

Got a 9.5 off Jim Sterling as well, although middling reviews from EG and VGUK. Consensus there was that it was a bit generic and the games it borrows from does it better.

I like a lot of the games it parrots though, and I love how the world looks, so I'm into this. Might pick it up on/near release, got plenty of credit and I've nearly finished Stardew.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 10:44 am

S'alright, innit?

Can see why some critics have complained about it being a bit generic, I'm definitely getting a Far Cry/Witcher 3 vibe from a lot of it. The world and machine animals are class though, getting a real kick out of hunting and combat at the moment.

r3wind

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

• Twitter: richystewart

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 8:32 am

I'm only up to the point of the 'proving' but it really does feel like a really polished game.

I mentioned before that it has just taken the best from all the other games of a similar type out there. To me it feels like a cross between Tomb Raider/Skyrim/Witcher 3, all games that I absolutely loved. The characters/story are likable so far and the combat is exciting, I actually feel like I want to use my traps and other equipment as opposed to them just being there for the sake of it.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 am

Yeah, they've done very well with the weapons and traps by giving them all a specific function. It's a really interesting arsenal as well, and the way it forces you to adapt your approach with different scenarios or objectives is really smart.

I've got a bit further and I've done at least one quest in every section, it's only getting better as I unlock more stuff to do. It's a great world as well, the lore seems really interesting and it looks awesome.

Able87

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: Twitch - Able87

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 11:15 am

Fucking class.

Simple as that.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 12:32 pm

If you get Gold on all the Hunting Trials you get a purple ropecaster, war bow and blast sling for free, rather than spending around 1.5k. The ropecaster is particularly good, pretty much required for fighting multiple machines.

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Did my first 'Cauldron' the other day.

This game is ridiculous. The sheer scale and detail.

Found 2 Sawtooths, snook up on one and hacked it, let the two of them battle it out. Few watchers came round the corner and did a bit of damage to the sawtooth, but he survived with about 1/8th health. One arrow to him killed him off. Loot for days and only 1 arrow used. :D

Must own for every PS4 user.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:09 pm

The first Cauldron was class, it's so alien compared to the rest of the game up to that point.

I've got quite far now and I think I'm getting close to the end, I've done all the Tallnecks, Cauldrons and Corrupted Zones and made a big dent in collectables. The whole gameplay loop (stalk, initiate, loot, repeat) is so good, and the challenge keeps up right to the end - I'm level 50, with all purple weapons and upgrades, and it still kicks the shit out of me if I'm not paying attention or if I don't initiate properly. It's so fun and the weapons allow for so much experimentation, it's just great.

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:10 am

Also, Aloy is superb. I'm so glad they went with her and didn't change to a male protagonist in fears of losing sales.

I've not finished the game, so no idea how it ends. But I hope she's around for a few more games in the future. Excellent design and character.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 6:52 am

Done. Great game, satisfying ending, stick around for the post credits scene.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 am

How many hours did you put into it?

Tom

Ian Baird

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 12:17 pm

I'd guess around 30? Would have to see if it tracks it in-game. I didn't bother with a few side quests and still have collectables to find, as well as the power cells for the super special armour. Although I'm not sure I can be arsed, I don't like collect-a-thons.

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 am

I'd read quite a bit about the parts fighting humans spoiling the game. I quite like those, especially approaching it stealthily.

It's gonna take me ages to finish. I just keep running off and doing my own thing.

Such a wonderful game.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 9:04 am

Yeah, people really overstated that side of it. It's not as good as fighting the machines, and maybe it could have done with a stronger melee combat system for humans (contextual spear attacks, for example - eg there's a weapon flash when they're attacking and a quick attack acts as a riposte/deflect, rather than just jabbing ineffectively at an attack animation) but when stealthing in it's fine, especially when you have more powerful bows and multiple arrows.

Able87

Micky Fenton

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:02 am

Just unlocked the double arrow skill. By pressing R1 load up another arrow to fire a double.

Hopefully come in pretty useful. 8)

There's something about the speed of collecting twigs/medicine plants and the speed of crafting arrows on the fly that makes it fun. Usually collecting those things is boring and monotonous but somehow in this game they've got the balance right.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:59 am

I really does, particularly with elemental arrows. Can corrupt stuff from a mile off and let it wreck house before you even need to get your feet wet.

Return to It Won't Go Left