It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm

XCOM 2

The (in)famous gaming forum and birthplace of FIFABowl
  • Author

Tom

Ian Baird

XCOM 2

PostThu Jan 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Currently £15 new in Game, assuming you can find a store with it in stock. Reviewed well last year and from the opening hour or two I can see why, performance is a bit ropey but the gameplay is dead good, all about outmaneuvring the opponent and executing ambushes. Really punishing but really satisfying

Moforocksaw

Joseph-Desire Job

Re: XCOM 2

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks for bringing this game to my attention :)

I didnt get it from game for 15 but i did get it off PS4 Store after watching some reviews and i really like this style of game.

Theres a fantasy turn base game i just bought for PC called Mordeim city of the dammed which plays similar build and custimise your own warband to take on mission in camapign or online.

Go check it out if you like that sort of thing i think you can get it on ps4 too.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Ayy, glad someone else got on it. I may have to try that other game once I've finished this, because I forgot how much I loved strategy, could definitely do with more.

Been hammering this though, its really addictive - definitely has that "one more turn" appeal. Even got into customising all the different soldiers to make my core squad stand out that bit more. I love how everything is on a timer too, keeps pushing you forward and keeps the momentum up.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 10:06 am

played the first one

was rock solid

gave up

apparently this second one is even harder!

Able87

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: Twitch - Able87

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 10:18 am

Enjoyed it initially, it then got stupid when your team is seemingly missing every 95% chance. Terrible rng at times.

Gave up.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Yeah once you start coming up against Avatars and those weird spear-toting guys you might as well just take 20% off every hit chance. And abilities that don't get explained, thats a pain in the arse first time.

Not had massive problems with RNG though, or I'm having them so rarely its not a major issue. Been hammering it though, love the balancing act of trying to expand while also trying to slow the aliens doomsday project.

Tom

Ian Baird

PostSun Jan 08, 2017 3:20 pm

tunstall wrote:played the first one

was rock solid

gave up

apparently this second one is even harder!

I gave up on the first one too. I wouldn't say this one is harder, it's much better at explaining the mechanics and it gives a much clearer indicator when the difficulty is about to ramp up (some of it is even player controlled, which I really appreciated). It's still punishing and the constant timer does push you into simple mistakes, but it's usually fair.

Return to It Won't Go Left