Nintendo Switch

The (in)famous gaming forum and birthplace of FIFABowl
  • Author

Able87

Juninho

• Twitter: Twitch - Able87

Nintendo Switch

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 9:08 am

Thought I'd clump the few switch threads into one.

Possibly the best console in the last 15-20 years? Perhaps.

Zelda and Mario are fucking outrageous.

The build quality of the unit itself is fantastic. Makes some beautiful clicks when you connect the joycons. Just feels satisfying.

On both the TV and the handheld screen the games look stunning. 1080p on TV, to 720p on the smaller screen.

The winning part is the portability for sure. I'm sat playing it on the big TV, our lass starting to get bored watching me on Zelda wants the tele on. Over I go to pull up the console out of the base unit, instantaneously the game moves onto the small screen. No pausing, no stopping, just fluid.

So far, I'm majorly impressed.

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

Re: Nintendo Switch

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:22 am

I have no idea why people are interested in the Pro or X while this thing is around as an alt console. The same but shinier, vs genuine USP and quality exclusives is no contest for me.

Will be picking one up in the new year. Has the lack of storage affected you yet? It's my only concern with downloads etc.

Able87

Juninho

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Can't say the storage has hindered me yet, although I've not downloaded any games from the store yet.

We've got Mario Rabbids kingdom battle coming too, then that's the 3 we will work our way through.

Able87

Juninho

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Rabbids has arrived. :happy:

8)

wilson

David Mills

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 pm

I had about 2hrs to mess about with it and i too was very impressed with the whole system.. roll on Xmas day when we go on it proper..

able, can you look to see if you can delete saved files on Mario. I'd like the kids to start from the begining, not where I left off.

Able87

Juninho

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 8:55 am

wilson wrote:I had about 2hrs to mess about with it and i too was very impressed with the whole system.. roll on Xmas day when we go on it proper..

able, can you look to see if you can delete saved files on Mario. I'd like the kids to start from the begining, not where I left off.

Make a separate account. When you go to start the game, it'll ask who it is that wants to play said game. I'm assuming that'll sort the saved games via profile.

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 am

All the stuff I've been seeing on here has me itching to get one. The girlfriend wants to go splits as well.

Bayonetta 1, 2 and 3 have been announced too. Can't wait.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

• Twitter: @LTS_3

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 am

Bayonetta 1 is the hardest game I have ever completed.

I am definitely getting a Switch at some point ... maybe my lad's 7th birthday in April will be a big enough excuse

Able87

Juninho

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Tom wrote:All the stuff I've been seeing on here has me itching to get one. The girlfriend wants to go splits as well.

Same situation here, and she loves it. Got her playing Zelda now after teaching her the controls.

Able87

Juninho

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 am

Nintendo is boasting that its Switch hybrid console has sold 10 million units worldwide in the first nine months of release, helped by Black Friday promotions.

The original Nintendo Wii, launched in 2006, sold more than 100 million units and remains the company’s best-selling console to date. Fils-Aime said it’s possible that the Switch will top the first-year sales of the Wii, if momentum remain strong through the holiday-shopping season.

In October, Nintendo raised projections for Switch shipments for its fiscal year ending March 2018 from 10 million to 14 million units. That would put the Nintendo Switch at 16.7 million units sold in its first year of release, on pace to exceed lifetime sales of the Nintendo Wii U (which shipped 13.6 million units over a five-year period).

So it's going very very well it seems..... :D

Able87

Juninho

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 9:58 am

With a March 3rd, 2017 launch, the data on December 10th, 2017 says that it took the Switch 9 months and 7 days to sell 10 million units.

In contrast, the PS4, launched on November 15th, 2013, took about 8 months and 29 days to sell 10 million units, almost identical. The difference being that Sony had a full holiday sales window while Nintendo hasn't had that with the Switch yet.

The Wii also took about nine months to sell 10 million units, and that was when it was a worldwide, non-gamer craze unlike anything the industry had seen.

The Xbox One took about a full year to ship 10 million units, not sell-through, and we don’t have the data for those exact figures.

The Wii U, Nintendo’s last console, took 2 years and 7 months to sell 10 million units, and it ended its run at 13.5 million units. It is entirely possible, if not likely, that the Switch could outsell the Wii U in totality in its very first year on the market.

wilson

David Mills

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 10:17 am

Able87 wrote:Rabbids has arrived. :happy:

8)

any good?? 30 quid in Grainger games for today only.

Able87

Juninho

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 9:32 am

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Been down London this weekend watching shitty Boro.

Did you pick it up?

I can't put down Zelda and Mario. Think Zelda tops Mario slightly, it's ridiculous. Like next level shit.

wilson

David Mills

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 10:52 am

I didn't, price drop in games only mean one thing, so I didn't pick it up.. we've got Mario, Zelda and Mario kart to keep us all occupied.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 11:12 am

wilson wrote:price drop in games only mean one thing.

Most of the time this is true, but now and then you can get good deals - got Evil Within 2 the other week for £19.99 new when its only been out < two months and it is excellent, same with Dirt4 aswell

There's only really ever COD and FIFA that dont drop in price until its nearly time for the next installment

Able87

Juninho

PostTue Dec 19, 2017 11:50 am

It's a very decent game to be fair. It's not had much console time due to Mario & Zelda being in my console, but I'll def be getting round to playing it for sure.

Our lass picked up a couple of wired controllers from Amazon. The Mario and the Zelda one, 20 quid each. Long wires, well built, has a lovely noise on the buttons too.

Able87

Juninho

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 9:03 am

This console is above the ps4 and xboxes of the world. I absolutely adore it.

It's up their with the N64, Megadrive, SNES and PS1/2 as one of my all time favorites.

Great to see the sales are super strong.

Cant wait to hear some of you guys reviews when you grab one/spend some time on one.

wilson

David Mills

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 10:28 am

Monday I'll be on.. and Mario kart with my 3 kids I can't wait

Able87

Juninho

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 10:41 am

wilson wrote:Monday I'll be on.. and Mario kart with my 3 kids I can't wait

Perfect!!! :))

wilson

David Mills

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 1:24 am

Able, I've just bought some foam pads that fit in the docking station, this protects the screen from scratches when loading and unloading the handheld .. there's been issues with the DS catching the screen when you dock and undock this can cause scratches. I paid £1.99 off eBay for the pads, also never buy decals they ruin the surfaces of the handheld and joy cons.

sinky72

Fabrizio Ravanelli

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 12:04 pm

No doubting that the Switch has been fantastic since launch and I'll pick one up in a year but I do think Nintendo have front loaded the Switch (not a criticism) Not followed closely but what are the big games coming out for the Switch only in 2018?

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 7:12 am

wilson wrote:I didn't, price drop in games only mean one thing, so I didn't pick it up.

Not really, it pretty much only indicates below average sales which is indicative of shit loads of stuff. With a new-ish IP fusion like that I wouldn't be surprised if it needed a jump start among the general public, because reviews have been very good.

Able87 wrote:Our lass picked up a couple of wired controllers from Amazon. The Mario and the Zelda one, 20 quid each. Long wires, well built, has a lovely noise on the buttons too.

I've been eyeing these up because the pro controller prices are off-putting, glad to hear they're alright. Will get on it, as I'm picking mine up/ordering it later today.

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 9:19 am

Got round to picking mine up yesterday, only got Mario so far but I've got a bunch of stuff to trade in for Kart 8+Zelda.

I know what you mean about build quality, the wired controllers feel a bit tacky but the joy-cons and unit itself feel great.

It won't be replacing the PS4 as the main console but as an alt, it's perfect.

wilson

David Mills

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 11:37 am

Mario is superb, I'm collecting all the moons to make the game last longer, I can't put it down..

Mario kart is amazing with the kids, tried online, I'm struggling to finish in the 5.

1-2 switch is ok.. only had one go so far has we play Mario kart mainly..

Zelda next once Mario is completed..

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm mostly playing Odyssey but I'm keen to start BOTW, seen it on too many GOTY lists not to try it. Got a few Indies to look at as well, apparently Golf Story is in a similar mould to Stardew so I'm tempted by that, and the girlfriend is picking up Stardew for the Switch too.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Question

Can you buy another docking station?

wilson

David Mills

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 8:29 pm

tunstall wrote:Question

You can buy a stand-alone charging station which can charge 4 controllers at once.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Was thinking more along the lines of having the console available to play on two tellys.....

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 10:55 am

tunstall wrote:Question

£80, froma quick Google. Seems a bit silly when you can use it handheld.

Looks like there are cheap unlicensed ones around though.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 12:04 pm

yeh - was just wondering, you know if you like want it on the TV in two places in your house?

Able87

Juninho

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Was thinking about doing this myself. But I quite like using just the screen with the stand and using my wireless pro controller when I'm playing Fifa. Fingers hurt a bit after playing for 2+ hours on it, so using the controller with the screen is superb.

Still working my way through Zelda, it's so damn good. I'm 2/4 on the Divine Beasts. So probably not even halfway yet. Genuinely fantastic game that's pushing Monkey Island series as my best of all time.

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 4:09 pm

I'm really liking Zelda so far, I'm only just off the starter area but it's ace. Been having a few goes on Kart as well, that's class.

One thing that's really struck me is how good all these games look. Nowhere near the power of the other consoles but so striking and colourful it doesn't matter.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Got some beauty news this morning, a PM from Nintendo Switch official account saying I have won a Switch (signed by WWE stars and WWE2K18)!
Buzzing

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 pm

Get in, you jammy bastard.

Able87

Juninho

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 am

Tom, you're so right. Shows you don't need 18 GeForce graphics card in a machine to make a game look pretty.

Zelda and Mario are works of art.

LTS - 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Mario Kart ordered 8)

Some hefty prices on these games like, got it for £43.85 on simplygames, that was the cheapest I could find.

Mario and Zelda were £49 in Grainger at dinner time X(

Able87

Juninho

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Zelda is worth 200 quid.

Buy it.

wilson

David Mills

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 11:03 pm

LTS_3 wrote:Mario Kart ordered 8)

Some hefty prices on these games like, got it for £43.85 on simplygames, that was the cheapest I could find.

Mario and Zelda were £49 in Grainger at dinner time X(

Zelda 42 in tesco

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 8:49 pm

I've just done the first divine beast, it's class.

I'm not sure it's necessarily your thing, though? Big open world, slow burn, degradable weapons (they break all the time. Like, all the time), I dunno. I love it, but I love my time sinks.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

Able87

Juninho

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Tom, let me know how you get on with the rest of it. I'm just in the area meeting my 3rd beast. Did the "Air" once second.

Still loving it. Still spend so much time exploring and trying to find every shrine. It's a joy to find one and complete it.

The weapon degradation annoyed me at first, but once you get out of that system of having a go to weapon, and just use them knowing they won't last forever, and sooner or later you'll find something better anyway, that initial annoyance goes away.

Excellent purchase LTS. Best Mario since 3D on N64

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 4:15 pm

I did the Zora one first. Wimped out of fighting the beast on top of the mountain though, need to go back for him.

And I'm finding the same thing, I keep getting distracted by new shrines, or something that looks like it might result in a Korok seed. It is ridiculous that there's 900 of the things, I've only found 20-odd.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 am

my daughter has brought hers down and we've got it set up in the living room for a bit

Mario Odyssey is great fun with 2 players

we tend to play on that for a couple of hours and when we've had enough we fire up the Xbox and go on the latest Lego Marvel game

happy days

i suppose i'll have to go back to work at some point!

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 11:15 am

Arrived last night, must be one of the best designed pieces of tech I've ever seen - to be able to have the controllers attached and work, then pull away and still work/have all the necessary buttons to play 2P is incredible.

Did the first championship on MarioKart, the graphics are class and there are quite a few changes to it - hovering above the track, parachute, underwater, two weapons, massive list of characters and 48 tracks, will keep us all busy for a while!

Not yet had it on the TV will try that tonight.

Able87

Juninho

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 10:28 am

Seems like your initial impressions match everyone else. Think everyone is slightly surprised how good the build quality on the unit and controllers is.

Haven't got Mario Kart yet, but I'll get it at some point for sure.

Genius going from TV to handheld in literally seconds. I've bought a proper stand for the switch when it's in portable mode so I can set it up on the table and still use my wireless controller if the missus wants to use the TV. Then I'm still sat next to her and listening to her waffle on which keeps her happy. :))

The nintendo switch, keeping relationships happy. :happy:

Tom

Joseph-Desire Job

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Kart is awesome, I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it as I kind of expected it to be going through the motions, but all the new features, courses, customisation and unlocks keep me well hooked. Bumped it up to 200cc last night and it's staggeringly fast, whole race can change in seconds. Highlights how shit I am but it's really fun.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm

So is online multiplayer live yet or not?

Able87

Juninho

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 3:20 pm

I've been playing Rocket League online. I know they are rolling out some new system soon-ish. But is working fine at the moment.

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 3:41 pm

So whats the 'Friends' method on this, can you search for someone else NintendoID or something to add them to your list?

LTS_3

Micky Fenton

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Turns out it is like the Wii WFC was, you need a code

Mine is SW-5536-9483-8695, add me

Had a quick go on MarioKart online, v 11 others from UK, Germany and USA worked flawlessly
Next

Return to It Won't Go Left