It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:40 am

FAO cricket type people

The place to talk about Cricket, F1, NFL, NBA and any other sport you might have a thing for
  • Author

tunstall

Alan Peacock

FAO cricket type people

PostTue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 pm

watching SA v NZ ODI tonight the commentators were on about 50 over cricket dying out?

could this happen??

i still think that it is important to keep this form of cricket despite the success of T20 cricket

as much as i like T20 i think it is very important that the game keeps both forms of the game

i still think that test cricket is the pinnacle of the sport and enjoy watching that more than the limited overs, but i can also appreciate the importance of the limited over games in getting more people watching the sport

Capybara

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Re: FAO cricket type people

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 am

Wouldn't surprise me. For all its faults, T20 is exciting and brings in the crowds. Test cricket is the real deal. 50 overs was originally brought in to provide the excitement of a one-day game with a finish whatever happens but has suffered because, as with most games, teams exploit the rules to be as negative as possible. So they change the rules and teams find ways round them and on it goes. Look at the game England are playing right now. They are in the last ten overs and the run rate is not much better than a decent county championship innings. All the action will be in the last few overs. With a few exceptions, games are dull.

tunstall

Alan Peacock

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 am

how about if they made it 40 overs then?

would i be right in saying that ODI's used to be 60 overs??

i've been up since 6am watching the game this morning and it has been slow going

even KP was subdued until the last 7 overs or so

i just think that if ODI's go altogether then there will be no "stepping stone" between T20's and the Test arena

Capybara

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 11:42 am

The thing that T20 has brought is the knowledge that teams can whack a big score off the last 20 overs so the first 30 can be pedestrian, almost 'building' an innings. England scored 100 off the last 10 today, nearly 40% of their score. If they went down to 40 it would just be the same. The none thing that the 50 over stuff that T20 hasn't is that you can recover from a bad start. A bad start in T20 and, by and large, you lose.

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

PostWed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm

The other thing about T20 it it's saleable. If packaged correctly it could be sold into other markets by either double header games or the fact it's over in roughly the same length of time as an NFL game (with just as many ad break opportunities).

Test Cricket will never be replaced however I can see there only being T20 and Test sooner rather than later, but will the 1st class game make the same adjustment at the same time ?

Capybara

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Five years on and 50-over cricket appears to be thriving while T20, to this non-believer at least, becomes ever more gimmicky. Or is this just an impression I get because England are now quite good at it?

Barney Rubble

Alan Peacock

• Twitter: @andyrubble666

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 2:20 pm

I think T20 has been developed more in other countries than here. It doesn't work as well with the county structure as it seems to with these 'superteams' in India and Down Under.

I also think the length does put people off. If I lived closer I would 'possibly' go to Durham after work on a Friday for a T20, however I wouldn't plan a day to go to a T20 international. I would happily go to an ODI elsewhwere (as I am this year)

Return to Other Sports